You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Logic Prox X 11.0.1 stopped working after update to Sonoma 14.5 (iMac Intel 2019)

Happened after updating to Logic Pro 11.0.1 and Sonima 14.5 on my iMac 2019 (Intel). Was working one evening, gone the next morning. Logic Pro opens without any error message, the menu bar is visible, but refuse to open any window (still no error messages). Most elements in the menu are grayed out, including the plugin manager and all the elements in the Window menu. Will not open any project, will not quit from the dock, but can quit from the menu bar. Any idea?

iMac 27″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 22, 2024 11:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2024 6:15 AM

I did reinstall Logic Pro a couple of times, same problem. Tried many tips from online forums, still nothing. I’m seriously thinking of switching to Luna, which I already have installed but haven’t used yet, especially since it is working...

15 replies

Jul 3, 2024 8:48 AM in response to Monsetta

Mine is doing almost the exact same thing. I did find a way to open projects by attempting to load one of the pre-made templates, once I select one and back out, I am able to open my own project. Once inside of Logic Pro 11.0.1 though, the mixer and most of the functionality are completely broken. I am unable to record, move sliders, and basically everything in the mixer window is not responsive. If I hold my cursor over one of the grayed-out menu items, the helper says "disabled because the app has not started up completely." Same temp fix here, Garageband is working fine but c'mon Garageband is not Logic Pro! Apple we need this fixed!!!!

Aug 10, 2024 8:52 AM in response to Monsetta

This fix worked on M1, no thanks to Apple support.

Use something like CCleaner to uninstall Logic Pro. This will erase all traces/folders of Logic. The regular uninstall process from Mac leaves traces of files/folder from the library which is (what I’m guessing) is breaking the update/install.

Once you uninstall, reinstall Logic from App Store.

And if you're using external storage to store your library:

1. Install essential library to your Mac hard drive.
  2. Move essential library to your external using "Sound Library" tab under LP Menu.

3. Reinstall library. Logic will automatically point 80GB library to your external.

This fixed my issue using M1 2020 MacBook. This has been an issue since early June for me.

Jun 23, 2024 2:40 AM in response to Monsetta

I feel your frustration. Sometimes removing plist preference files used to help, but that meant having to set up Logic again.

On older Macs, and perhaps this is still true for all Intel Macs, but is at the very least true under all older Mac OS operating systems, you could backup the whole system including the apps and then simply restore everything from there.

Apple has very unfortunately made this impossible, so your only way to go is to restore from a time machine backup if you have one.

Or reinstall Logic, which probably shouldn't remove any project data, at least.

Jul 13, 2024 2:24 PM in response to Monsetta

This same exact issue is happening to me! I figured out a way around the app to get into the grayed-out boxes, but Logic 11.0.1 is completely broken on the inside; the mixer window and all of Logic's functionality in-app are busted. This happened a little over a month ago when Logic Pro 11.0.1 was installed automatically on Sonoma 14.5. I am running on a 2020 M1 Macbook Pro. Unfortunately, I feel like we are at the mercy of the developers until a new update comes out. I have reached out to support several times with only one response, which was no help.

Sep 22, 2024 10:58 AM in response to Monsetta

No, user preferences are retained in the user account. Any previous work files shall also be safe but should be backed up just in case.

If I were in your shoes, I would run the latest version of a program called Onyx by Titanium Software. It’s a highly reliable system maintenance tool that activates critical macOS maintenance scripts and can clear up any lingering file issues that sometimes occur after an OS update or when third-party software is installed.

Onyx is free to use and doesn’t include any of the intrusive ads or bloatware that you often find with other similar maintenance apps. I’ve used it for years, and it’s been a lifesaver when things go haywire or when I need to troubleshoot and narrow down potential causes of an issue. It could be a good next step for you in diagnosing the problem.

Sep 22, 2024 1:43 PM in response to justinscottdixon

Thanks. I installed Onyx and ran the maintenance script; gained 30GB of disk space--yeah!, the iMac is starting and running faster, but it did not fix my problem. Logic Pro X is still dead in the water... I’m going to remove Logic completely and install it again, hoping the few updates to the system since the last LPX installation included a "fix" for its troubles.

Sep 22, 2024 2:44 PM in response to Monsetta

OMG! Logic Pro X is working again!

Did a maintenance pass with Onyx, removed Logic Pro completely with CleanMyMac X, downloaded and installed Logic latest version, restarted the computer, and there it was! The opening window relinking my 1180 plugins (how did I get to that number?), all my workfiles available... Big thanks to justinscottdixon for the tip about Onyx.

Logic Prox X 11.0.1 stopped working after update to Sonoma 14.5 (iMac Intel 2019)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.