You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation lock still present after erase and delink using iCloud.

I have erased and unlinked my phone in iCloud. I am still getting the "This phone is locked to owner" screen, however it does not ask for a password and allows me to set up phone with another apple ID. It was my sons phone and allowed me to set it up with my apple ID. I have erased it and unlinked it several times and always the same result. I cannot erase the phone using the phone as it has a dead spot in the screen and I cannot type the password. I would like to trade it in but this is preventing me from doing so.

iPhone X

iPhone X, iOS 16

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 6:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 27, 2023 7:21 AM

Your bottom line issue is removing Find My when the phone is incapable of entering the password. The standard procedure would be to get the phone repaired so you can now do things the way they are designed to be done. However, you're in a bit of a Catch 22 situation here. You probably don't want to pay for a repair of something you are going to trade in, but then Apple likely won't accept it if you don't remove the lock. The one thing I can think of is to have the lock removed from Apple's database remotely:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 27, 2023 7:21 AM in response to tresplumes

Your bottom line issue is removing Find My when the phone is incapable of entering the password. The standard procedure would be to get the phone repaired so you can now do things the way they are designed to be done. However, you're in a bit of a Catch 22 situation here. You probably don't want to pay for a repair of something you are going to trade in, but then Apple likely won't accept it if you don't remove the lock. The one thing I can think of is to have the lock removed from Apple's database remotely:

Apple can completely reset a device if a person can provide sufficient evidence of valid ownership. Do this online at: Activation Lock support request - https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support Apple says, "Proof of ownership documentation is required," but does not detail what currently constitutes proof. Prior to this new online service Apple typically required the original receipt issued by Apple or an Apple Authorized Reseller and documented provenance (so typically it would be the original owner who does this, or a descendant with legal proof of ownership). This will give you access to the device but won't restore access to the account used to lock it. There is nothing that can be done to expedite an Activation Lock request.

Apple recommends you "Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device" --> Keep your receipt after you buy an Apple device - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2023 9:01 AM in response to tresplumes

I think the Find My setting is separate from the Apple ID used for the main account/icloud setting.

Read this document to learn how to sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple TV, or Mac --> Sign out of iCloud on your iPhone, iPad, Apple TV, or Mac - Apple Support

Read this article to learn how to remove Activation Lock either on the device itself or on the web --> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

or this one for disabling Find My if activation lock has not yet engaged --> Turn off Find My on your iPhone or other devices - Apple Support

Nov 27, 2023 8:50 AM in response to Limnos

Ugh. What a pain. The documentation for proving ownership is onerous It’s locked to my Apple ID which you think would be enough. It’s only worth like $40 in its current condition. So I don’t think I’m going to spend too much more time on it.

I guess the most confusing part is that it says it’s locked but it actually is not.

The only other thing I can think to try is to change my Apple ID password so that it’s only using the part of screen that the keyboard works on to disable it.

thanks

Activation lock still present after erase and delink using iCloud.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.