You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to rid of McAfee extension in Library > SystemExtensions > 15A7C312-74FA-4A40-9F94-38BECAE4BD

I will receive a brand new iMac tomorrow and plan to use Time Machine to transfer my files. I do not want to transfer this file but when I try to move to the trash it tells me I do not have permission to do so. How can I get rid of it?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 14.1

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 9:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 7, 2023 10:21 AM

This is a common problem with any app that includes the new System Extensions. If you do not uninstall it properly, then it gets baked into the operating system at a very low level. Unfortunately, many 3rd party uninstallers don't work and leave this file installed and running. Sometimes people use 4th party "app zappers" or "clean up" tools that can't possibly work. The only guaranteed way to remove a System Extension is to drag its containing app to the trash. As you might expect, people who ship apps that contain System Extensions tend to store their containing apps in hidden folders. 😄

There is a way to remove these System Extensions, but it is difficult and dangerous. It involves using the Terminal, Recovery mode, and disabling system security. The easy way is to erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

If your case, the fact that you're getting a new computer is pretty much the same thing as having erased the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system. What you can do is be careful when you restore from backup. Do NOT restore any apps, software, system settings, or "other files". You can restore your user files and user accounts only. Then, manually reinstall any 3rd party apps that you really need. If any of those apps need administrator privileges or special "approvals" to install, consider that very carefully.

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 7, 2023 10:21 AM in response to lilijifu

This is a common problem with any app that includes the new System Extensions. If you do not uninstall it properly, then it gets baked into the operating system at a very low level. Unfortunately, many 3rd party uninstallers don't work and leave this file installed and running. Sometimes people use 4th party "app zappers" or "clean up" tools that can't possibly work. The only guaranteed way to remove a System Extension is to drag its containing app to the trash. As you might expect, people who ship apps that contain System Extensions tend to store their containing apps in hidden folders. 😄

There is a way to remove these System Extensions, but it is difficult and dangerous. It involves using the Terminal, Recovery mode, and disabling system security. The easy way is to erase the hard drive and reinstall the operating system.

If your case, the fact that you're getting a new computer is pretty much the same thing as having erased the hard drive and reinstalled the operating system. What you can do is be careful when you restore from backup. Do NOT restore any apps, software, system settings, or "other files". You can restore your user files and user accounts only. Then, manually reinstall any 3rd party apps that you really need. If any of those apps need administrator privileges or special "approvals" to install, consider that very carefully.

Nov 7, 2023 9:28 AM in response to babowa

I have been working on this for 3 days. I do not have the application just this orphan file left behind when I uninstalled McAfee. I have done everything that is suggested here: https://forums.mcafee.com/t5/Mac/Trying-to-remove-files-com-mcafee-CMF-networkextension/m-p/703039#M2040 without success. Other users are also reporting not being able to delete even after having followed the suggestion.

Nov 7, 2023 10:49 AM in response to etresoft

I just spent 1 hour in a chat with McAfee (2 different agent s) and they cannot remove it; all they did was redo what I had done. They say the fact that the message is that I don't have permission is an Apple problem to solve...

I understand what you are suggesting but I use Photoshop and satellite Apps (on1, Luminar , etc) and I wish I did not have to reinstall all of those for one file!

If I call Apple support could one of their expert help?

Nov 7, 2023 4:05 PM in response to lilijifu

lilijifu wrote:

I just spent 1 hour in a chat with McAfee (2 different agent s) and they cannot remove it; all they did was redo what I had done. They say the fact that the message is that I don't have permission is an Apple problem to solve...

That doesn't surprise me.

I understand what you are suggesting but I use Photoshop and satellite Apps (on1, Luminar , etc) and I wish I did not have to reinstall all of those for one file!

If you Google something like "uninstall system extension sip", you'll probably get some good hits.

If I call Apple support could one of their expert help?

I honestly don't know.

Nov 7, 2023 4:54 PM in response to lilijifu

When asked if you want to transfer information from your other Mac, I believe this is all you need to do:

etresoft wrote:

Do NOT restore any apps, software, system settings, or "other files". You can restore your user files and user accounts only.

That should preclude installing anything in /Library/ or its subfolders.

Migrating Applications might be ok. If you did everything within your power to uninstall "McAfee" it should no longer be a factor. But you should definitely de-select "Computer and Network Settings" and "Other files and folders".

You have nothing to lose by doing that. If it results in migrating something you don't want, you can always erase the new Mac, and start over.

Nov 8, 2023 11:14 AM in response to etresoft

Hi, I spent another 2 hours on this today with Apple technicians and they also do not know how to get rid of the folder and its files.

I will have to go with your recommendation i.e. reinstall my apps from the issuer (Adobe, etc) and then I will do an "erase and reinstall" on the old one that I intend to give.

Thank you for your help.

how to rid of McAfee extension in Library > SystemExtensions > 15A7C312-74FA-4A40-9F94-38BECAE4BD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.