You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

workflow and processing in Motion and Final Cut.

I am creating a short animated film. I think it is going to be about a 10 min piece. 2D. I could do everything in Motion. It has all the tools. I create my graphics in Pixel then to Motion. I tried a first draft and created a generated image in motion and then sent the generated image to Final Cut. It looked good. In Final Cut I have to wait a few tics for it to auto render while creating this first 30 sec draft. This happened frequently, but not a huge inconvenience. No big deal in waiting for it render. So I could make the whole thing with that workflow. Pixel-Motion-final cut. Is that the best work flow for my Mac mini Pro 2? In motion, as long as I stay away from 3D, it does not seem to slow down. I can work efficiently in Motion ( Although, I have never tried creating a timeline for more than 30 seconds or worked in a massive amount of layers in Motion which is what I expect to do if I stay in Motion.) On the other hand, I can navigate better in Final Cut. I know Final Cut far better than Motion. So real question. Am I going to have memory issues in Motion the deeper I get into my project or would be far more efficient to transfer all my stuff over from Motion to Final Cut to piece it together.

Mac mini (M2 Pro, 2023)

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 9:20 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Nov 4, 2023 4:14 AM in response to Eric Clajus

The way I think of it is that FCP is for editing, and Motion is for creating motion graphics.

Yes, you could do it all in Motion, but if it were me, I'd have the huge stack of layers that would make editing rather a chore. Also, I'd expect things to start slowing down somewhat once the project gets more involved - though I have a lesser mac than yours, so you may not feel the hit in performance, or feel it only later than I would.

Regarding rendering in FCP: you probably do not have to. I always turn off "background render" and only render (manually) particular sections of the timeline if the playback is not smooth otherwise (and that is well... like never, for the things that I do).

So if it makes sense, I'd consider using Motion to create particular animations and then edit it on FCP. But if there is a continuum from start to end, just stay in Motion.

Nov 8, 2023 1:27 PM in response to Eric Clajus

Create a new Project in FCP, but make it the width you need for all images to fit inside of (this trick has been round since FCP 1.0). Place your images in that Project so their side by side to each other. Then select all, Compound. Now just keyframe the Compound, all images move at the same speed, stay the same distance apart.

As for rendering, FCPX will be faster than Motion, because Motion has infinity more parameters to manage than FCPX. Thus, I'd do it all in FCPX.

workflow and processing in Motion and Final Cut.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.