You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

El Capitan with Itunes 12.8.2.3 not working with iOS 16.4

When I connect my iPhone 13 mini running iOS 16.4 to my MacBook Pro running El Capitan with Itunes 12.8.2.3

the phone doesn't mount in itunes so I can not back it up. I've heard the two systems are compatible, but are they really?

MacBook Pro 17″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Sep 30, 2023 3:56 PM

2 replies

Sep 30, 2023 4:49 PM in response to Rachel Whitaker

When the iPhone 14 family shipped, with iOS 16, their Technical Specifications said that syncing would work using El Capitan 10.11.6 and iTunes 12.8 or later. Now, with the iPhone 15 family, the minimum requirement is High Sierra 10.13 and iTunes 12.9 or later.

Someone said in another thread that the syncing requirements are really tied to the version of iOS instead of to the iPhone model. If that's true, then it's a safe bet that once you upgrade your iPhone 13 mini to iOS 17, you won't be able to sync it with a Mac running El Capitan any more.

That still leaves the question of why syncing an iPhone running an iOS 16.4 did not work.

El Capitan with Itunes 12.8.2.3 not working with iOS 16.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.