You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IPAD still retaining old imessages from a different Apple ID although I am now signed in with a new one

I have completely signed out of my IPAD with my personal ID and signed on with my business Apple ID but all my old I-messages are still showing EVENTHOUGH I have signed out of I-message with the old id and signed in with the business id. All my old personal messages are showing and none of my new business I-messages are syncing/showing. Help?

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 3:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2023 9:02 PM

Hi! I am having a similar problem where I have completely signed out of my old apple ID and signed into a new one. I am now signed into my new apple ID and want to delete all the old messages from the previous apple ID from my IPad, but don’t want them to also delete from other devices that are still using the old Apple ID. Do you know if there is there any risk of accidentally deleting the messages from the other devices with the old apple ID? And if so, do you know how I can avoid doing that? Thank you!

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2023 9:02 PM in response to LotusPilot

Hi! I am having a similar problem where I have completely signed out of my old apple ID and signed into a new one. I am now signed into my new apple ID and want to delete all the old messages from the previous apple ID from my IPad, but don’t want them to also delete from other devices that are still using the old Apple ID. Do you know if there is there any risk of accidentally deleting the messages from the other devices with the old apple ID? And if so, do you know how I can avoid doing that? Thank you!

Sep 5, 2023 3:41 PM in response to Divainthelou

As described, your Messages were configured to synchronise with iCloud. One of two scenarios has occurred...

1) You have fully signed-out from your personal AppleID account:

Settings > [Your Name / AppleID] > Sign Out

When signing out, you were presented with the option "keep a local copy" of your iCloud data during the sign-out process. When you subsequently signed-in to iCloud using your business AppleID account, the locally stored iCloud data from your personal AppleID was merged with your Business AppleID account.

2) You actually signed-out from iMessage:

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > AppleID >[iMessage Account] Sign Out

Although you have signed-out from iMessage, you remain signed-in to iCloud with your personal AppleID.

Given your description - and the relative increased complexity of just signing-out from iMessage - I suspect that the first scenario applies. If so, your personal AppleID data, including your personal messages, have been merged with your business AppleID.

Having merged your AppleID account data, there is no simple method to undo the merge - other than to manually delete the personal data from your merged data.

Also be aware that if you have indeed signed-in to your business AppleID, you'll not be able to again change your signed-in AppleID account for 90-days.

IPAD still retaining old imessages from a different Apple ID although I am now signed in with a new one

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.