You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Not showing Metal support - why

My current configuration:

SPECS:

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015)

macOS El Capitan 10.11.6

Processor: 3.3 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 24 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 MB

According to Apple Support, Re: Support for Metal on Mac, iPad, and iPhone

Support for Metal on Mac, iPad, and iPhone

does indicate my configuration "does support" Metal 2, when I choose: System Information > Graphics/Displays there is no mention of "Metal" - why?

BTW - the graphics card (AMD Radeon R9 M290) is the only graphics card installed in this particular iMac model so please don't tell me I have the wrong graphics card installed.......because Apple says othere wise in the referenced on-line article.

Would greatly appreciated some input on this "mystery" (and, yes, I realize fully that I am using a very outdated OS). I have a specific reason for doing so.........if I upgrade I would be losing about $3000 worth of software! Apple wants it this way. Apple "thinks" this will force people to go out and spend thousands of dollars for a new Mac and all new software. Apple is very wrong in their assessment........

iMac 27″, OS X 10.11

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 2:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 24, 2023 3:36 PM

Given the Apple support article and given the inclusion of that AMD Radeon R9 M290 GPU in the following Metal benchmark data:

https://browser.geekbench.com/metal-benchmarks

I suspect this is just a display artifact from the rather old OS X 10.11 version running on that iMac.

That iMac is supported as far as macOS 11 (as differentiated from OS X 10.11) and I’d expect an upgrade would show Metal support here, assuming that older OS X 10.11 version does not.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 24, 2023 3:36 PM in response to SergeantMac

Given the Apple support article and given the inclusion of that AMD Radeon R9 M290 GPU in the following Metal benchmark data:

https://browser.geekbench.com/metal-benchmarks

I suspect this is just a display artifact from the rather old OS X 10.11 version running on that iMac.

That iMac is supported as far as macOS 11 (as differentiated from OS X 10.11) and I’d expect an upgrade would show Metal support here, assuming that older OS X 10.11 version does not.

Aug 24, 2023 11:33 PM in response to SergeantMac

An iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Mid 2015) can go as far as Big Sur, but no further.

I can see why you might want to avoid Catalina and Big Sur. Neither will run 32-bit applications. Catalina is no longer one of the "most recent three"; soon, Big Sur will also fall off that list. So you might lose access to 32-bit applications without gaining access to current applications from the likes of Microsoft and Adobe.

But is there some reason that you're avoiding High Sierra and Mojave?!?

Aug 24, 2023 11:49 PM in response to SergeantMac

El Capitan is never going to get any new updates. So if there's a bug that keeps you from using Metal 2, it's never going to be fixed in that OS. If you have Metal 2, but there's a bug that keeps System Information from showing it, that's never going to be fixed in that OS.

If the Apple Support document is incorrect and there are some special cases they forgot to mention (cases along the lines of "El Capitain has Metal 2 support, but won't report it", the Support document might eventually be fixed – but don't count on it. I doubt if Apple's tech writers are spending much time looking back at El Capitan and 2015 iMacs. They are probably being rated by their bosses based mostly on how well they document current hardware and software.

Bottom line: It is whatever it is. Your choices are to live with it, or to upgrade to a newer version of macOS (maybe trying it out on a spare external drive first, so you don't have to commit to the upgrade), in hopes that this problem is fixed in some version of macOS (SIerra? High SIerra? Mojave?) that can still run most of your software.

Aug 25, 2023 8:30 AM in response to SergeantMac

SergeantMac wrote:

Well not according to Apple pursuant to the above article. The Mid 2015 iMac running OS 10.11 incorporates the AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 MB graphics card and Apple says this configuration has Metal capabilities. So ???

You’re basically between the proverbial rock and the hard place, a place that these cases will eventually and inevitably visit.

Software doesn’t run forever without the OS and hardware, and increasingly without connections, and the OS eventually becomes increasingly difficult to securely network with app-necessary services.

The work of sourcing spare parts or of repairing failing hardware and of keeping the software connections working involved gets progressively harder and more expensive, too.

At some point, replacing or upgrading or overhauling that dependency usually becomes the least-bad choice. Whether you’ve yet reached that point?

Source: I work on enterprise hardware and software—what are euphemistically called “legacy” apps—that can be twenty and thirty years and older, and it’s expensive to maintain and update it. Welcome to the club. 😉

Aug 25, 2023 10:16 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Yes, if I upgrade to High Sierra or ANY higher OS, I would be losing Adobe CS6, as well as all associated 3rd party plug in’s, nik Color Effects, and FileMaker Pro 14 + many other 3rd party applications. About $3000 worth of software.

Actually what one would expect to gain in performance in shelling out over $3000 in buying a whole new computer would be negligible in my estimation. Additionally I have 3 printers, 2 scanners, a Super Drive, a card reader (one printer, an Epson Extra wide, 8-color Photo printer valued at $4000.) that may…..or may not be compatible with a higher OS.

Bottom line: technological advances are not necessarily “advances”. Frankly, processing speed is WAY over rated……..but it’s makes money for Apple Computer!

Not showing Metal support - why

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.