You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro (16 inch late 2019) almost unusable with MacOs Monterey

In February 2020 I got Mac Book Pro 16 inch (late 2019)

2,4 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4

AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 8 GB

Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I got it with macOS Catalina (version 10.15).

It was the fastest laptop ever - for about a year and a half. With another OS update (Big Sur) it started being unresponsive, got incredibly slower and my Adobe Suite will freeze and crash, etc. Yesterday trying to speed it up I installed Monterey ( honestly was afraid to install Ventura which is officially recommended). My Mac is unusable practically. Even my screenshot is buggy, delayed and the preview icon takes a lot of time. Powerpoint work was a nightmare. I wasn't even trying to use any of the Adobe programs.

Does anyone know what this could be? I am aware that after this one apple started using new chips and the updates are optimized for them. But this never happened to me. In just 3 years from the latest upgraded model, this became an unusable Mac.

Does anyone have the same problem? Maybe I ve missed something? Is there something I am doing wrong?

I was thinking of downgrading back to Catalina or getting a new one as soon as I can afford it.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 8:57 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Aug 4, 2023 12:15 PM in response to JelenaI

Please run Etrecheck and post its full report here. Use the "additional text" button and paste the report into the text box.

The most common reason for slowdowns or crashes with newer OS is old stuff migrated from days of old, sometimes for many years and across multiple macs.

If you migrated everything from a previous mac, which had been updated for several years, you may have very old system modifications that no longer work correctly in the present OS.

MacBook Pro (16 inch late 2019) almost unusable with MacOs Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.