You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I e 4 1TB hard discs in an aged MacPro desktop.. I want to buy. Macbook Pro M2MAX but I need to be able to connect the laptop to read the hard discs MacPro

I have an aged MacPro desktop with 4 1 TB hard discs. Im purchasing a Macbook Pro 16” with M2MAX Chip.

Will the Macbook Pro be able to play the hard discs with a suitable connection?

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 1:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2023 2:48 AM

Get an external HDD of sufficient size, backup your internal drive to it with Time Machine, then use Migration Assistant in conjunction with TM backup to transfer your data.

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Once you have the new Mac all set up, use the external drive as a backup drive and use TM to keep your data backed up. Always backup. Not doing so is courting disaster,

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2023 2:48 AM in response to shado8

Get an external HDD of sufficient size, backup your internal drive to it with Time Machine, then use Migration Assistant in conjunction with TM backup to transfer your data.

Transfer to a new Mac with Migration Assistant - Apple Support

Once you have the new Mac all set up, use the external drive as a backup drive and use TM to keep your data backed up. Always backup. Not doing so is courting disaster,

Aug 4, 2023 5:30 AM in response to shado8

shado8 wrote:
I need to be able to connect the laptop to read the hard discs [on the] MacPro

The easiest method is to have the MacPro & the MacBook Pro on the same network; turn on file sharing on the MacPro. Then from the MBP you can log on to the MacPro and access its drives.

Note you will also have to make sure that Share Files and Folders Using SMB is enabled in Sharing Options.

Aug 4, 2023 6:00 PM in response to shado8

Both of the other contributors have offered good suggestions especially since we do not know how these other drives are configured in this system.

If the drives are independent data drives, then you could remove them and use a USB to SATA Adapter (one supporting an external power source if they are 3.5" drives), SATA drive dock, or an external enclosure to connect the drives individually (some docks or enclosures may allow two drives at once) to the new Mac. Just make sure the device used actually supports a 4TB drive since some older devices only support up to a 2TB drive. Also make sure the device is also compatible with an Apple Silicon Mac...again not all external devices are compatible with an Apple Silicon Mac (usually for older devices).

Sep 10, 2023 8:17 AM in response to shado8

As a side issue, your older Mac could continue to serve you -- as a backup server, if you are willing to pay its power bill.

Time Machine in macOS 10.13 High Sierra and later supports using drive(s) on a different Mac (across your home network) as a "shared backup destination".

Use a shared folder with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support

I e 4 1TB hard discs in an aged MacPro desktop.. I want to buy. Macbook Pro M2MAX but I need to be able to connect the laptop to read the hard discs MacPro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.