You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best OS to upgrade to from Mojave

I have a MacBook Pro (Retina mid 2012) operating on Mojave. I've been sitting on a notice to upgrade to Catalina fro months/years and have decided to bite the bullet. Before doing so I noticed that Catalina is not the latest OS so now I am wondering what to do in terms of upgrading the OS. Other than email and surfing the net I primarily use this laptop for photo editing using Luminar. Any suggestions as to what to do? Or is it time to buy a newer computer (I am perfectly satisfied with this device other than the software issue which I think is constraining me and will become even worse)?

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 6:02 PM

If you do want to install Catalina, you can get it from here:

How to download and install macOS - Apple Support

3 replies

Jul 6, 2023 6:01 PM in response to Wmgitt

If you upgrade to Catalina, 32-bit applications will stop working. But you won't have one of the "most recent three" major versions of the operating system – so you'll still be locked out of getting new application software from some vendors like Microsoft and Adobe.

Unless there's something in Catalina that's a "must have", your best courses of action might be either to sit tight on Mojave, or to bite the bullet and buy a new Mac that runs a current version of the operating system.

What is the best OS to upgrade to from Mojave

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.