You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best Apple Watch for swimming?

Best watch for swimming that doesn't go "black screen". I'm on watch #3, even when I enact "swim mode". I've an SE. First one worked for about a year, the second lasted a week, the third 3 weeks.

Seems like a common problem and maybe my model isn't such a good one for swimming???]

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on Jul 5, 2023 11:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2023 1:39 PM

LOL, not the issue. I've turned 3 SE into 100% nonfunctional, black screen, won't turn on etc. watches by swimming. The first one worked for a year then it went black and absolutely would NOT start, the second one lasted ONE swim and then did the same thing, the third one went about 6 swims and then did the same thing. Black screen, will not work at all. And this is using the "swim tracking mode" that blocks the water. In reading the info, on the various watches, it says that the water resistance declines over time so I was curious as to what model people have had the best luck with not having them, I assume leak, and stop functioning. As in dead, don't charge, don't turn on, etc. I looked at the high end ULTRA one but it's way overkill and still has the same disclaimer about what resistance dimishing overtime.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 6, 2023 1:39 PM in response to hc1111

LOL, not the issue. I've turned 3 SE into 100% nonfunctional, black screen, won't turn on etc. watches by swimming. The first one worked for a year then it went black and absolutely would NOT start, the second one lasted ONE swim and then did the same thing, the third one went about 6 swims and then did the same thing. Black screen, will not work at all. And this is using the "swim tracking mode" that blocks the water. In reading the info, on the various watches, it says that the water resistance declines over time so I was curious as to what model people have had the best luck with not having them, I assume leak, and stop functioning. As in dead, don't charge, don't turn on, etc. I looked at the high end ULTRA one but it's way overkill and still has the same disclaimer about what resistance dimishing overtime.

Jun 23, 2024 3:08 PM in response to Lesliel66

I am currently on my 4th Apple Watch Series 6 due to issues with swim mode, All of them worked for a while, then black screens, green lines, attempting to call 911 on its own. This last one started to open my Apple wallet by itself. Looking to make a change, earlier versions were much better. Is there any device working well?

Jun 23, 2024 3:18 PM in response to JxMikeC

I never got an answer to my question about this a year ago. After having to purchase my 4th watch, I gave up and take it off when swimming laps since "water invasion" is not a covered issue and I didn't want to have to buy yet another.

So...I'm following to see if you get a better response. I just got sent a video on how to "enable" swim mode....not helpful.

Jul 6, 2023 12:13 PM in response to Lesliel66

Hey there Lesliel66,

We understand you're looking for a new Apple Watch that fits your needs.

We recommend using the Apple website to help with comparing Apple Watch models to see which one will work best for you.

Apple Watch - Compare Models - Apple

Since you mentioned having trouble with starting a new swim and using your Apple Watch, here's a video from Apple Support to further assist and give a visual for using Water Lock to help while swimming: Turn Water Lock on and off on Apple Watch — Apple Support

Take care!

What's the best Apple Watch for swimming?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.