You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do I need a specific TV to mirror my iPad with an Apple TV?

Can the videos that I stream to my iPad being mirrored on a TV through the Apple TV 4K? If the TV is Apple compatible do I need an HDMI cord? If so, does the cable have to be apple compatible? All my video watching currently is on my iPad. The last two weeks has been an adventure in cross purposed information with sources constantly contradicting each other, including apple help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Apple TV 4K (3rd generation)

Posted on May 24, 2023 1:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 3:41 PM

For AirPlay, both options should work equally well.

• Without either option, you could connect an iPad to a TV through HDMI and an HDMI adapter. For iPads with USB-C, you would need a different adapter than for iPads with Lightning connector. [1] [2]

Some streaming services may not work with AirPlay, or may not work with HDMI adapters. That depends on the content provider, and their decision to support that. With current model Apple TV box, you can get most apps directly on that, and then you would have no need for AirPlay, or HDMI connected iPads.

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 24, 2023 3:41 PM in response to wallace253

For AirPlay, both options should work equally well.

• Without either option, you could connect an iPad to a TV through HDMI and an HDMI adapter. For iPads with USB-C, you would need a different adapter than for iPads with Lightning connector. [1] [2]

Some streaming services may not work with AirPlay, or may not work with HDMI adapters. That depends on the content provider, and their decision to support that. With current model Apple TV box, you can get most apps directly on that, and then you would have no need for AirPlay, or HDMI connected iPads.

Use AirPlay to stream video or mirror the screen of your iPhone or iPad - Apple Support

If screen mirroring or streaming isn't working on your AirPlay-compatible device - Apple Support

May 24, 2023 3:33 PM in response to wallace253

In general, your iPad's screen can be mirrored to your ATV4K regardless of the TV you've got connected to it.

The caveats concern the content you're trying to view using AirPlay (but again, I don't think your connected TV makes any difference). Some apps and numerous www sites are set to prohibit the use of AirPlay when displaying their content - Netflix is but one example. In the case of such apps, the workaround is usually simple, run the Apple TV version of the app on your ATV4K.

For video www sites that restrict using AirPlay, there's no native browser workaround on the Apple TV device. That said, I've found that some sites that won't AirPlay to my ATV4K actually will play using the native AirPlay 2 receiver of my LG TV.

Do I need a specific TV to mirror my iPad with an Apple TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.