You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 13 Real or Fake

I’m looking at purchasing a pre owned iPhone, how do I tell if it’s a genuine Apple iPhone? Do i need to check the serial number somewhere?

iPhone 13 Pro

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:46 AM

Hello martyn872!

This User Tip provides important information on buying used iPhones, as well as a pre-purchase checklist you can follow: The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

I hope this is helpful. Good Luck!

2 replies

May 9, 2023 6:16 AM in response to martyn872

Unfortunately, a significant percentage of used phones for sale have been stolen. Don't even think about purchasing the phone unless it powers on to the "hello" screen, and you have a written guarantee that you can return the phone within 14 days for a full refund if you are not satisfied.

You won't be able to check the battery health of the phone until it is set up, but expect that a used phone will probably be in need of a new battery in the near future. Add about $90 U.S. for that.

Enter the serial number of the phone to find out if the phone is genuine.

Check Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple SupportAppleCheck Your Service and Support Coverage - Apple Support

iPhone 13 Real or Fake

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.