You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trouble getting voicemail

I have setup a contact that dials my voicemail. The number I use has pauses so it dials the voicemail number, pauses and enters the voicemail account number, pauses again then dials a passcode.

That worked fine on my iPhone SE but now, I have a iPhone 13. With the iPhone 13, the voicemail isn't getting the numbers correctly. It keeps responding that the information is incorrect.

I've verified the numbers many many times and tried many different placements of pauses to no avail.

Does anyone have an idea of what might be happening?

Steve

iPhone 13, iOS 16

Posted on May 8, 2023 8:29 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 8, 2023 8:33 AM

It's possible that the issue you're experiencing with the voicemail contact on your iPhone 13 is related to the way the pauses are being entered. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Use commas instead of pauses: Instead of using pauses, try using commas to separate the numbers in the contact. In some cases, commas may work better than pauses.
  2. Adjust the length of the pauses: Experiment with adjusting the length of the pauses between the numbers in the contact. It's possible that the iPhone 13's dialing behavior is different from the iPhone SE's, and a longer or shorter pause may work better.
  3. Manually dial the voicemail number: Try manually dialing the voicemail number and entering your account number and passcode. This will help you determine if the issue is with the contact or with the way the iPhone 13 is dialing the numbers.
  4. Contact your carrier: If none of the above solutions work, it's possible that there is an issue with your carrier's voicemail system. Contact your carrier's support team and explain the issue you're experiencing. They may be able to troubleshoot the issue or provide a solution.

Hopefully, one of these solutions will help you resolve the issue with your voicemail contact on the iPhone 13.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 8, 2023 8:33 AM in response to Endi_S

It's possible that the issue you're experiencing with the voicemail contact on your iPhone 13 is related to the way the pauses are being entered. Here are a few things you can try:

1. Use commas instead of pauses: Instead of using pauses, try using commas to separate the numbers in the contact. In some cases, commas may work better than pauses.
  2. Adjust the length of the pauses: Experiment with adjusting the length of the pauses between the numbers in the contact. It's possible that the iPhone 13's dialing behavior is different from the iPhone SE's, and a longer or shorter pause may work better.
  3. Manually dial the voicemail number: Try manually dialing the voicemail number and entering your account number and passcode. This will help you determine if the issue is with the contact or with the way the iPhone 13 is dialing the numbers.
  4. Contact your carrier: If none of the above solutions work, it's possible that there is an issue with your carrier's voicemail system. Contact your carrier's support team and explain the issue you're experiencing. They may be able to troubleshoot the issue or provide a solution.

Hopefully, one of these solutions will help you resolve the issue with your voicemail contact on the iPhone 13.

May 8, 2023 1:30 PM in response to jackaustin25

Thanks jackaustin25.

1. Yes, I am using commas. The editing interface in Contacts calls it a Pause but it adds a comma to the number.
  2. Yes, I've tried every combination I can think up. I even tried putting a comma between each digit. Lately, I've cut that back to a comma after every third digit. That gets the carrier to ask for the passcode. I type that in manually and I get: "I'm sorry but the information you've entered does not match our records." Since I'm manually typing in the passcode, my guess is that the carrier didn't see the account number correctly". I also tried this on my daughter's iPhone 12 and it didn't work there either.

3 Yes, that's what I've been doing since I got the iPhone 13.

1. Definitely worth a try. I'll ask them. I still can't think up a good reason that it would work on the iPnone SE but the iPhone 13, though.

Steve

May 19, 2023 8:06 AM in response to Endi_S

While spending most of yesterday afternoon talking to my carrier (Verizon), I tried copying and pasting the dialing string into the keypad on my iPhone as an easy way for a friend to test it on their phone.

When I did that, it ignored the second pause and dialed the passcode immediately after the account number. I tried adding a second pause code (comma) before the passcode. That caused it to do a double-length pause on both the first and second pause. Somehow, that worked!

Aside from being amazed that I hadn't tried that before, I'm happy that I have a workaround that I can use.

The result is that it's (sorta) fixed.

Steve

Trouble getting voicemail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.