You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple pencil 1st Gen not pairing to new Ipad 10

Hi,

I've just got a brand new Ipad 10th gen and it doesn't seem to connect to my Apple pencil 1st Gen.

I unpaired it from the last device it was connected to and tried a few solutions (restart the ipad, turning off the bluetooth, fully charge the pencil) but it still does not appear in "my devices" and i don't have the pop up message that ask for the pairing..

Thanks for your answer!

Kathy

iPad (10th generation)

Posted on May 5, 2023 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2023 3:49 PM

Believe it or not, I just had the same problem and I tried using Light Blue, the app to force the connection and it didn't work. It would appear multiple times in the app (meaning it would recognize it but then it would disconnect and then see it again and so on) but giving me the " timeout interrogating the peripheral" message, and after reading post after post I read that a someone tried putting the pencil under the hair dryer for like 3 minutes to warm the battery up and that WORKED! Now it requested the pairing by itself immediately after connecting it. The battery is drained but I'm guessing the warm up helped kick the firmware up enough to connect and recognize the iPad. Now I'm charging it hoping the battery will last. Mind you, it's a brand new Apple Pencil 1st Generation with an iPad 10th generation.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 5, 2023 3:49 PM in response to Kathy_ng

Believe it or not, I just had the same problem and I tried using Light Blue, the app to force the connection and it didn't work. It would appear multiple times in the app (meaning it would recognize it but then it would disconnect and then see it again and so on) but giving me the " timeout interrogating the peripheral" message, and after reading post after post I read that a someone tried putting the pencil under the hair dryer for like 3 minutes to warm the battery up and that WORKED! Now it requested the pairing by itself immediately after connecting it. The battery is drained but I'm guessing the warm up helped kick the firmware up enough to connect and recognize the iPad. Now I'm charging it hoping the battery will last. Mind you, it's a brand new Apple Pencil 1st Generation with an iPad 10th generation.

May 10, 2023 10:36 AM in response to Kathy_ng

Presumably you are reusing an existing first generation Apple Pencil. The first generation Pencil is charged and paired from iPad10 using the iPad charging cable - and a special Apple USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter:

New first generation Pencils now ship with this special adapter in the box along with the Pencil. However, Apple Pencils purchased before release of the iPad10 will not have the required adapter. Similarly some “new” but older stock Pencil’s, purchased from retailers, may also lack the USB-C to Lightning adapter - and may instead have an older Lightning to Lightning Adapter.

For owners of older first generation Pencils, or for “old stock” new Pencils, the new special adapter can be purchased directly from Apple as an accessory.

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MQLU3ZM/A

As such, if purchasing a new first generation Apple Pencil to accompany an iPad10, you might be best advised to visit an Apple Store or Apple Authorised Retailer that has a high-turnover of stock - and ensure that the Pencil box indicates that the correct adapter is included. 

If necessary, open the box in the Store and check that the USB-C/Lightning adapter is present - noting that the older Lightning/Lightning adapter looks very similar to the USB-C/Lightning adapter.

Apple pencil 1st Gen not pairing to new Ipad 10

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.