You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to connect micro-B drive to Thumderbolt 2 port

I have a Seagate external HDD with a micro-B port that I would like to connect to one of the high speed (Thunderbolt 2) ports of my late 2014 MacMini. The variety of USB-C ports is a little confusing and I have tried two cables that don't work. Can anyone point me to a cable or adapter that will work?

Thanks.

Mac mini, macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 5, 2023 3:30 PM

You can not connect a USB drive to the Thunderbolt 2 port. That port is only for Thunderbolt 2 devices and displays using a Mini DisplayPort adapter.

What you need, is a USB-A to USB-C adapter so you can plug the Seagate's USB-C drive cable into your older Mac mini's USB-A port.

3 replies

Apr 5, 2023 3:40 PM in response to den.thed

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid of that...all 4 USB-A ports are in use, and one is connected to a powered USB-A hub. The cable that came with the Seagate drive actually has a USB-A connector, but when I plug it into the hub, the computer will not recognize it.

I'm just looking for an external drive that I can use for Time Machine backups; I'm not sure why the drive connected to the hub isn't seen by the MacMini.

Apr 5, 2023 4:00 PM in response to pomme-homme

Ah' OK.. got it. Move one of your other devices to the Hub and plug the Seagate drive directly into one of the Mac mini's USB ports.

If you need more USB ports or just have a cheap-o 4 port hub. Then replace that USB hub with a larger 7 port self-powered hub.

for a couple of examples,

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/best-buy-essentials-7-port-usb-2-0-hub-black/6453993.p?

https://www.amazon.com/Splitter-Charging-Individual-Switches-Extension/dp/B07G8CMR18

how to connect micro-B drive to Thumderbolt 2 port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.