You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restarting iMac from an external drive

I recently acquired a 1Gb Samsung external SSI drive, which I formatted with Monterey OS. In order to boot up from the Samsung, I would restart the computer while pressing the option (alt) key, which worked fine. For some reason, System Preferences>Startup Disk did not show the Samsung drive, and therefore rebooting from there was impossible. Recently, however, restarting the computer under Monterey by pressing the option key has started failing: sometimes I have to make a couple of attempts before it boots. Now it can take as many as six to eight attempts. What can be causing this, and what can I do about it? Thanks in advance!

(Just to be clear: what happens when I try to restart is first a black screen, then the Apple logo and a chime (sometimes sharper, sometimes flatter), and then I land on the High Sierra login screen).

iMac 27″

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 8:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2023 8:22 AM

I think it's the firmware, On my 2019 iMac Startup Disk won't see later versions than Catalina, must use the Option Boot, but I missed that so many times I just have set it to automatically Option Boot...

Make an Intel Mac Boot Directly to Startup Manager…

https://osxdaily.com/2021/02/26/make-intel-mac-boot-startup-manager/#:~:text=As%20with%20all%20command%20line%20activity%2C%20start%20by,sudo%20you%E2%80%99ll%20have%20to%20enter%20the%20admin%20password.?msclkid=19cc70e0ab9d11ecb47c8ddb8bcaef0f

Make an Intel Mac Boot Directly to Startup Manager (osxdaily.com)

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 3, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Antifon

I think it's the firmware, On my 2019 iMac Startup Disk won't see later versions than Catalina, must use the Option Boot, but I missed that so many times I just have set it to automatically Option Boot...

Make an Intel Mac Boot Directly to Startup Manager…

https://osxdaily.com/2021/02/26/make-intel-mac-boot-startup-manager/#:~:text=As%20with%20all%20command%20line%20activity%2C%20start%20by,sudo%20you%E2%80%99ll%20have%20to%20enter%20the%20admin%20password.?msclkid=19cc70e0ab9d11ecb47c8ddb8bcaef0f

Make an Intel Mac Boot Directly to Startup Manager (osxdaily.com)

Restarting iMac from an external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.