You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seagate ext with Hub software crashes Mac

So I’ve got my new iMac 24inch m1 etc and all is fine..

I have tried to connect my seagate to the mac with no luck.. I’ve gone onto the Seagate support downloaded what I thought was the software to set it up…

downloaded something from there website and it asked me to go through steps to allow 3rd part blah blah (sorry I can’t remember exactly)

so I hold the power button to get into set up and follow the steps to ‘allow the assuming drivers’ or 3rd party something or other and then every-time I now start up it after about 45 seconds or when I try and do something the computer flashes a purple screen and reboots!

after plenty of attempts to try and sort it..

I’ve probably stupidly got impatient and tried to erase the entire Internal SSD and now I’m in a position where I can’t get a log in screen and when I turn the mac on it brings up the 4 choice screen showing restore re download OS etc… I don’t have a time capital save as there isn’t anything on the Mac I’m bothered about saving. So at this point I think I’ve erased or don’t something to the drive and am now re downloading Mac OS Monterey.. currently on waiting of 5 hours!

is this going to save my Mac?

anyone else experienced this?

please help!

iMac (24-inch, M1, 2021, 2 ports)

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 12:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 14, 2022 2:45 PM

SteveSki1 wrote:

I have tried to connect my seagate to the mac with no luck.. I’ve gone onto the Seagate support downloaded what I thought was the software to set it up…

If Samsung had nothing of value

try a different hub and compare your results...

bypass the hub and compare your results.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

If you can not boot that is a different issue—

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

you can always Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 14, 2022 2:45 PM in response to SteveSki1

SteveSki1 wrote:

If Samsung had nothing of value

try a different hub and compare your results...

bypass the hub and compare your results.

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

If you can not boot that is a different issue—

How to reinstall macOS

Recovery (both M1 and Intel) — How to reinstall macOS - Apple Support

you can always Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

Jul 15, 2022 10:43 AM in response to SteveSki1

I will offer my two cents. I have found that the maintenance software shipped with various external disks almost always is very problematic. it should never used and immediately deleted. Then you should properly format the disk using Apple's Disk Utility app and should have no problems with the external disk. Try that and let us know what happens.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.