You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac crashes on connecting 4K display

Hi all,

For the past half year I have been experiencing an annoying bug where sometimes when I connect my MacBook Pro with M1 Pro (2021) to my 4K HDR Philips display via the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, it will crash and reboot, or not wake from sleep when in clamshell mode. Sometimes it will accidentally list the display twice, as in this screenshot:

On the multiport adapter, all three ports are in use: the original power brick provides power, the HDMI cable is connected to the monitor, and the USB-A port is used for my 2.5" Time Machine backup disk. The male side of the multiport adapter is extended with a USB-C extension cable. I have tried without the extension cord and without the backup disk, to no avail. As far as I recall, the problem began with Ventura 13.0 or 13.1 and has persisted with the latest updates.

I regularly connect to other displays via a USB C at work, this gives no problems, so hardware-wise my Mac should be fine. The display itself functions perfectly normal. Given this, and the fact that the problem occurs irregularly, I think it may be a hardware issue with the Multiport adapter, or a software issue with macOS. One additional point of interest may be that I run AlDente to set charging limits. I have also tried quitting AlDente, yet the problem persisted.

A console log (.ips) of one time the described issue happened (full crash) can be found here.

If anyone can help out, it would be much appreciated!

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.3

Posted on Mar 28, 2023 1:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 29, 2023 3:07 AM

Thank you Grant! I've just reproduced the issue to make sure a report would be in that folder, but I don't see any file starting or ending with 'panic', so perhaps it is not a kernel panic. What happens is this: I plug in the USB-C cable that leads to the multiport adapter. I can see my display turn on (sometimes black, sometimes the wallpaper), and then the system freezes (unresponsive to mouse and keyboard). My MacBook's screen goes black, and only when I unplug the USB-C cable does the screen come back on, showing the login screen. I must then log in again and the previous windows are reloaded, but it may not be a full reboot / kernel panic.

In the folder you mentioned, I do however see three files marked 'userspace_watchdog_timeout.spin', and a 'node_<datetime>.diag'. Is that helpful?

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 29, 2023 3:07 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you Grant! I've just reproduced the issue to make sure a report would be in that folder, but I don't see any file starting or ending with 'panic', so perhaps it is not a kernel panic. What happens is this: I plug in the USB-C cable that leads to the multiport adapter. I can see my display turn on (sometimes black, sometimes the wallpaper), and then the system freezes (unresponsive to mouse and keyboard). My MacBook's screen goes black, and only when I unplug the USB-C cable does the screen come back on, showing the login screen. I must then log in again and the previous windows are reloaded, but it may not be a full reboot / kernel panic.

In the folder you mentioned, I do however see three files marked 'userspace_watchdog_timeout.spin', and a 'node_<datetime>.diag'. Is that helpful?

Apr 11, 2023 10:34 AM in response to TheFJ97

You said you are not using a direct HDMI connection, but instead the Apple USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter, which is a ThunderBolt Hub device capable of charging your Mac and sending data on to other devices.

Given that MacBook Pro 14-in has its own DIRECT HDMI port, eliminating the adapter and plugging in a certified HDMI cable is not such an off-the-wall idea.

--------

Whenever HDMI connection is under discussion, I am compelled to remind users that there are standards for high performance HDMI cables, and using poor spec cable can cause trouble.

Mar 28, 2023 5:04 PM in response to TheFJ97

<< A console log (.ips) of one time the described issue happened (full crash) can be found >>

Reading console logs without knowing EXACTLY what you are looking for is the path to madness.

Kernel Panic Reports are stored at:

/Library/Logs/DiagnosticReports

If you copy and paste that string into:

Finder > Go menu > Go to Folder

it will take you to where those reports are stored.

They are named with Date&Time and start or end in ‘panic’

If you find one, please post the entire report here, by using the “additional text” Icon in the reply footer (looks like a paper with writing).

Please don’t post more about 20 lines of any other types of reports — they are interminable, and any information useful for this purpose is on the first screenful.

Mar 29, 2023 6:11 AM in response to TheFJ97

why not stop torturing yourself with HDMI (invented for consumer TV sets at 720p) and use a DisplayPort adapter, like this one:

Monoprice Select Series USB-C to Mini DisplayPort & USB-C (F) Dual Port Adapter - Product # 24274 - $7.70  

--------

-OR- use a certified HDMI cable direct from your Mac.

HDMI cables you want for HDMI-only Displays (higher resolutions than 720p TV sets) are marked as Certified with an anti-counterfeiting tag and are labeled:

"Premium High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "with Ethernet" --OR--

"Ultra High Speed HDMI cable" or that + "48G"

Cables with No Certification tags are good for your standard 720p TV set, and not much more.

Mac crashes on connecting 4K display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.