You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID for child

How do I set up a second apple ID for my child with 2 ipads but in different houses. My child is under 13 and already has an apple ID with his father but I want one for our child at my house.

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 12, 2023 8:55 AM

Here's a guide as to how to create a child's ID --> Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

The child will need a different email address from the one used for the other account.

Note that it is not possible to merge content from 2 IDs later. The child will have to retain access to both accounts and deal with the complexities of this.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 12, 2023 8:55 AM in response to Ayofemi48

Here's a guide as to how to create a child's ID --> Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

The child will need a different email address from the one used for the other account.

Note that it is not possible to merge content from 2 IDs later. The child will have to retain access to both accounts and deal with the complexities of this.

Mar 12, 2023 9:09 AM in response to Ayofemi48

As long as there are separate devices this is fairly simple.

Setup yourself as a family organizer.

Create a new AppleID for your child using a slightly different name (e.g. Jim vice James; Kate vice Kathryn)

Do NOT use a fictitious birthdate; it’s difficult to change later.

Then, setup the child’s device yourself. Pay VERY CAREFUL attention to the questions being asked.

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

As a minimum, would suggest using Parental Controls (and Screen time) to prevent your child from changing his/her AppleID account settings or device passcode.)

Apple ID for child

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.