You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"the installation failed." errors installing ANY .pkg file.

I recently updated my Mac to Ventura 13.2.1 - After that, I have not been able to install any software from .pkg files. Every installation ends with "The installation failed." error.

At first I thought this was a problem with the software in question, but even .pkg files I've used before give me trouble.

I've included a screenshot from trying to install Zoom, but this is happening with EVERY attempt to install an app from a .pkg file.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.2

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 25, 2023 10:26 AM

Yup! Every .PKG file I’ve tried to install has given me the same error.

i found the fix however !

navigated to System Settings -> Privacy and Security -> Full Disk Access and toggled it for “installer”. Now pkg files install as expected. Phew! Thanks!

4 replies

Feb 25, 2023 10:23 AM in response to J. Pierce

J. Pierce wrote:

I recently updated my Mac to Ventura 13.2.1 - After that, I have not been able to install any software from .pkg files. Every installation ends with "The installation failed." error.

At first I thought this was a problem with the software in question, but even .pkg files I've used before give me trouble.

I've included a screenshot from trying to install Zoom,

but this is happening with EVERY attempt to install an app from a .pkg file.

Independent of your Zoom—are you saying every application you try to install you can not...?

Are you admin...is this a personal machine or bound to some Enterprise, JAMF, MDM, active directory list (?)

Safely open apps on your Mac - Apple Support

Open a Mac app from an unidentified developer - Apple Support

for your third party app If in doubt— refer to the developers website; Support/Help/FAQ/known issues/compatibility /updates

Contact a third party vendor

Contact a third-party vendor - Apple Support

ref

Installing the Zoom application on macOS

Zoom Support

Contact Zoom Support

"the installation failed." errors installing ANY .pkg file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.