You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Visual Indicator if I've Overwritten a Cell with a Formula

I’m coming from Windows Excel where I could protect (lock) cells with formulas to prevent overwriting the formula.

In Numbers, I occasionally find myself doing exactly that, overwriting a cell’s formula.  I tried some recommendations from the forum, such as dragging a column/row out of the table, locking the new table and overlapping it with the old table.  While the technique works, in some cases it does not meet my needs.

I was curious if there is a way to use conditional formatting (or some other method) to highlight a cell if it does not contain a formula.  So, if I had a formula in a cell and I accidentally overwrote the formula, I could get an immediate visual indications I made a mistake, this cell is supposed to have a formula, but it's been overwritten.  I could then undo my mistake.

There are a number of conditional formatting rules, but I did not see one specifically for DOES or DOES NOT a contain formula.

Thank you

Windows, Windows 6

Posted on Jan 20, 2023 10:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2023 7:57 AM

I do not know. Here it is on my computer working correctly. You could try replacing the B with B2 for the one in cell C2 and see if that makes any difference. What version of Numbers are you using? I'm on 12.2.1.

5 replies

Jan 21, 2023 7:46 AM in response to Badunit

Badunit,

I want to thank you for taking the time to respond.

I think I understand the concept you explained. But, I do not get the result expected. I hope you will review the screenshot below and point me in the right direction.

I have formulas in column B that adds columns E & F. In column C is: =IF(FORMULATEXT(B)≠"","").

If understand correctly, I expect two see a null string ("") in C2 & C3 since both B3 & B3 contain a formula. In B4, I deleted the formula and see the error triangle as expected since there is no formula.

In my case, I receive the error triangle regardless if there's formula in any of the cells in column B, or if they are blank. The Data Format type are (A) Date & Time (B & C) Automatic (E & F) Currency. The Numbers' error message is: Argument 1 of FORMULATEXT is Invalid.

Again, thank you for your help.

Jan 20, 2023 11:32 AM in response to DaThiryPointBuck

There are a few ways this might be done but not within the same cells. It is possible to get the cells to highlight if they do not contain a formula but it will require other cells or a column of cells elsewhere to do part of the work.

Here is a simple way put a flag next to cells without formulas. It assumes your formulas are in one column.

Create a column (column C) to the right of your column of formulas (column B). In C, next to each formula you are concerned about, put the formula

=IF(FORMULATEXT(B)≠"","")

The result will be the null string "" (which looks blank) if there is a formula or an error triangle if there is no formula.

If this doesn't suffice, tell us more about your table and post a screenshot if you can. A more complicated answer that highlights the exact cell(s) may require knowing if your formulas are in a single column or scattered around.

Visual Indicator if I've Overwritten a Cell with a Formula

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.