You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Typing text in Pages with Ventura OS - text box now required??

After installing Ventura, when I open a blank document in Pages, I can't seem to enter any text unless I use a text box. Same with cut and paste - it goes into a text box. Is this the default now? If so, this is a change from the prior OS and more a really annoying nuisance than convenience..

iMac 24″, macOS 13.1

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 3:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2023 9:11 PM

It sounds like the blank document you are using is in Page Layout mode instead of Word Processing. The file can be converted to word processing by selecting Pages Menu File > Convert to Word Processing. By default all Apple's blank documents are in word processing mode.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2023 9:11 PM in response to reh57

It sounds like the blank document you are using is in Page Layout mode instead of Word Processing. The file can be converted to word processing by selecting Pages Menu File > Convert to Word Processing. By default all Apple's blank documents are in word processing mode.

Jan 20, 2023 6:32 AM in response to reh57

Pages supports two document input modes. The default is word processing mode where you just enter content as usual. The other mode is Page layout mode where text must be contained in Text boxes, each page is a section, and there is no automatic page advance.

More essential reading: Intro to word-processing and page layout documents in Pages on Mac - Apple Support

It sounds to me as though you chose the blank layout template instead of just a blank template, or you were curious what the File menu > Convert to Page Layout did after destroying your prior word processing document contents.

Typing text in Pages with Ventura OS - text box now required??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.