You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to reinstall microsoft office 2011 on a macbook pro 2020

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 4:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 11, 2023 4:44 PM

Office 2011 is a 32-bit app. Newer macOS versions beginning with macOS Catalina no longer support 32-bit apps. macOS Mojave is the last version to support 32-bit apps. Going by the vintage of your MacBook, I believe it came pre-installed with macOS Catalina and may likely be running a newer version than that if you updated it.

With no 32-bit app support on recent versions of macOS, you are out of luck installing/running Office 2011. You also cannot install an older version of macOS on the MacBook than what came pre-installed on it.

I personally have a MacBook with Office 2011 already installed & running under macOS Mojave. This MacBook can be updated to a newer version of macOS but I am keeping it on Mojave to retain the use of Office 2011 (updating it will lose the ability to run it, even if it's already installed).

See: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 11, 2023 4:44 PM in response to mtcastello

Office 2011 is a 32-bit app. Newer macOS versions beginning with macOS Catalina no longer support 32-bit apps. macOS Mojave is the last version to support 32-bit apps. Going by the vintage of your MacBook, I believe it came pre-installed with macOS Catalina and may likely be running a newer version than that if you updated it.

With no 32-bit app support on recent versions of macOS, you are out of luck installing/running Office 2011. You also cannot install an older version of macOS on the MacBook than what came pre-installed on it.

I personally have a MacBook with Office 2011 already installed & running under macOS Mojave. This MacBook can be updated to a newer version of macOS but I am keeping it on Mojave to retain the use of Office 2011 (updating it will lose the ability to run it, even if it's already installed).

See: 32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.