You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browser Update

I use a MacOS High Sierra 10.13.6 desktop and I am constantly being asked by websites I visit to update my browser, can anyone please advise me as to how I do this please and does it in fact need updating?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 3:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2023 4:09 AM

You haven't mentioned the model/year of your iMac but from your description I suspect it's an older model which cannot be upgraded past High Sierra. To upgrade to at least macOS 10.15 Catalina you would need a Late 2012 iMac.

You also didn't mention which browser you are using so I have to guess that it is Safari. This being the case, you are also left with Safari unable to be updated because the updates for the browser nearly always come as part of macOS.

You can download a more modern browser and use that instead. There are many choices and I'll leave it up to you to try a few to see which you prefer.

Until, of course, you get a newer Mac...

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2023 4:09 AM in response to Pauline Edmonds

You haven't mentioned the model/year of your iMac but from your description I suspect it's an older model which cannot be upgraded past High Sierra. To upgrade to at least macOS 10.15 Catalina you would need a Late 2012 iMac.

You also didn't mention which browser you are using so I have to guess that it is Safari. This being the case, you are also left with Safari unable to be updated because the updates for the browser nearly always come as part of macOS.

You can download a more modern browser and use that instead. There are many choices and I'll leave it up to you to try a few to see which you prefer.

Until, of course, you get a newer Mac...

Browser Update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.