You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie - clips and photos cannot be dragged into timeline

iMovie Version 10.3.5

Monterey 12.4

Macmini M1 2020

Update iMovie, restarted Mac, started new project, etc. etc...

iMovie - clips and photos cannot be dragged into timeline (even into empty timeline, new project); occasional (not consistent) error message: "... you are combining audio and video clips outside the primary storyline ..." ; same clips and photos can be dragged into timeline on iOS iMovie.

Several users have been reporting this issue.

What is the resolution?

Thank you.

Mac mini 2018 or later

Posted on Dec 29, 2022 11:34 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Dec 29, 2022 3:02 PM in response to corvusrexx

Hi,

The "outside the primary storyline" error message has popped up for others on this forum. I am unable to replicate the message on my Mac. I think that it is a bug, since compound clips are not a feature of iMovie, although they are in Final Cut. I have not seen any solution reported yet. You might try contacting Apple Support and talking to the techs there. They have the capability of accessing your computer, that we do not have here.

If the Apple Support techs solve it, or have comment, would you post back with what they said? It would help others with this problem.

-- Rich

iMovie - clips and photos cannot be dragged into timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.