You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Removed files on desktop

I was trying to save space on my iCloud by unchecking the box "iCloud Drive" without realizing it would remove all the folders of my assignments on my desktop. How can I retrieve it back? Please and thank you!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 10:28 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 10:36 PM

vatallyn Said:

"Removed files on desktop: I was trying to save space on my iCloud by unchecking the box "iCloud Drive" without realizing it would remove all the folders of my assignments on my desktop. How can I retrieve it back? Please and thank you!"

-------

Restore from a Backup:

Did you ever back up your Mac using Time Machine. If so, then restore your Mac to a backup that has this info. If so, at would then lay on the Desktop(or wherever else). So, create a Time Machine Backup, restore from the older one, get the data, and then restore from the new one you just create. Then, export the files to a flash drive. Once exported, reset your Mac from the Time Bacon Backup you just created.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2022 10:36 PM in response to vatallyn

vatallyn Said:

"Removed files on desktop: I was trying to save space on my iCloud by unchecking the box "iCloud Drive" without realizing it would remove all the folders of my assignments on my desktop. How can I retrieve it back? Please and thank you!"

-------

Restore from a Backup:

Did you ever back up your Mac using Time Machine. If so, then restore your Mac to a backup that has this info. If so, at would then lay on the Desktop(or wherever else). So, create a Time Machine Backup, restore from the older one, get the data, and then restore from the new one you just create. Then, export the files to a flash drive. Once exported, reset your Mac from the Time Bacon Backup you just created.

Dec 23, 2022 10:36 PM in response to vatallyn

vatallyn Said:

-------

Download All of iCloud:

If you wanted to, you could download all of iCloud, and then use Finder to browse for it. Perform my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip.

Removed files on desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.