You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multiple airpods lost microphone after 1 year

Problem details below - question I'm looking to answer is: Are other people seeing this problem? Do the AirPods Pro have the same problem?

So, I have been using AirPods for several years now - initially the first generation, and most recently AirPods 2 (not pro). I've had 3 sets. With every single set, after about a year the microphone breaks on one of the two pods. It pairs, I can hear, but nobody can hear me. I typically then pin the microphone to the other AirPod (so if the R is broken, I pin to the L) and that works for awhile until, inevitably within a few months, the other microphone stops working.

This has been so consistent that I'm ready to give up on AirPods - it's just starting again on my latest pair. Too bad, because otherwise I love everything about them - fit, functionality, everything, but I'm at the end of my rope. I would have thought Apple would have better quality than this.

iPhone 12

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 7:12 AM

Similar questions

3 replies

Dec 18, 2022 6:10 PM in response to thejeffnextdoor

Hello thejeffnextdoor,

It seems like you continue to encounter microphone issues with your AirPods, even after multiple pairs, right? Are you seeing this behavior only with the phone app, or also the Voice Memos app?

Does it happen when you pair your AirPods to another iOS device?

Here's how top pair with another device:

Connect your AirPods and AirPods Pro to your iPhone

"If you're setting up your AirPods for the first time, make sure that you have an iPhone with the latest version of iOS. Then follow these steps:

1. Go to the Home Screen.
  2. With your AirPods in the charging case, open the charging case, and hold it next to your iPhone. A setup animation appears on your iPhone.
  3. Tap Connect. 
  4. If you have AirPods Pro (1st or 2nd generation) or AirPods (3rd generation), read the next three screens.
  5. If you have AirPods Pro (1st or 2nd generation) or AirPods (2nd or 3rd generation) and you set up "Hey Siri" on your iPhone already, then "Hey Siri" is ready to use with your AirPods. If you haven't set up "Hey Siri" already and you have AirPods Pro (1st or 2nd generation) or AirPods (2nd or 3rd generation), you'll be guided through the setup.
  6. Tap Done.
  7. If you're signed in to iCloud, your AirPods are set up automatically with any of your supported devices that are signed in to iCloud with the same Apple ID."

If you continue to see the same behavior, contact Apple Support.

Regards.

Dec 18, 2022 7:16 PM in response to Tammer1

Hi Tammer1,

thanks for your note. This is definitely a hardware issue each time. It happens when using the phone and also voice memo app; and also happens with the soft phone on my Mac Pro laptop. I brought two pairs in for service and both times was told they couldn’t repair them, and that I would need to buy a replacement.

really, I’m just looking to understand if other people have seen the same problem with the pro version of the AirPods because I don’t want to buy them if they have a similar issue

Multiple airpods lost microphone after 1 year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.