You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Air M1 screen defect - internal cracks

Purchased 2.5 months ago for my son and the internal screen is now cracked. It was not dropped or mishandled. I see that numerous users have posted same issue online and there's a class action suit against Apple in CA. I do not want to pay to have it fixed, nor do I want to buy a new laptop. What is Apple doing about this?

MacBook Air

Posted on Nov 10, 2022 6:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2022 2:20 PM

I purchased my MacBook Air late in 2020, just before retiring. It sits on a small table, never goes out of the house, and is used sparingly. I mostly use my Ipad or Iphone. Not too long ago I noticed some lines on the left hand side of the screen and tried all of the remedies I could find on this forum. They did not work so I took it to the local Apple store where I was told it had a small crack on the lower left side. (I still cannot not see the crack and now the lines are spreading further into my screen.) When I asked the "genius" how it could have happened considering the way I use it, she said that any minute speck could have made the crack when the top was put down. I was quoted over 400 dollars for repairs, and I refused to pay it. My husband and I are Apple customers from way back and we have never had accidents with any of our devices. The only other problem I have ever had was with my Apple Watch battery which blew up like a balloon. Back to my MacBook...is the class action suit going forward? Has Apple offered any solutions to this problem? I have been reading through this thread and it seems like my problem is like many others'.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 16, 2022 2:20 PM in response to Rigo_O86

I purchased my MacBook Air late in 2020, just before retiring. It sits on a small table, never goes out of the house, and is used sparingly. I mostly use my Ipad or Iphone. Not too long ago I noticed some lines on the left hand side of the screen and tried all of the remedies I could find on this forum. They did not work so I took it to the local Apple store where I was told it had a small crack on the lower left side. (I still cannot not see the crack and now the lines are spreading further into my screen.) When I asked the "genius" how it could have happened considering the way I use it, she said that any minute speck could have made the crack when the top was put down. I was quoted over 400 dollars for repairs, and I refused to pay it. My husband and I are Apple customers from way back and we have never had accidents with any of our devices. The only other problem I have ever had was with my Apple Watch battery which blew up like a balloon. Back to my MacBook...is the class action suit going forward? Has Apple offered any solutions to this problem? I have been reading through this thread and it seems like my problem is like many others'.

Nov 12, 2022 1:20 PM in response to userinMD

Hi userinMD,

It seems you have some concerns about a defective screen and we can help.

The Apple Limited Warranty does cover manufacturing defects.

Take your Mac to the nearest Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider and they can determine if this damage is covered or not and offer you repair options:

Find Locations - Apple

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities.

MacBook Air M1 screen defect - internal cracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.