You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Pencil Won’t Pair

I recently bought a new iPad (10th generation) with an Apple Pencil (1st generation). These are brand new out of the box and the Apple Pencil won’t pair no matter what. I bought a USB-C cable and tried connecting that to the Apple Pencil and the iPad and still nothing. I’ve restarted the iPad, turned Bluetooth on and off, and still no notification to pair it.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 6:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 7:13 AM

When trying to pair the first generation Apple Pencil with the iPad10, are you using the special Apple USB-C to Lightning adapter to connect the USB-C/USB-C cable supplied with the iPad? If not, this may the source of your difficulty.

• USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MQLU3ZM/A

While this special adapter is included in the box of new first generation Apple Pencils, some older stock Pencils may not have this adapter in the box.

The first generation Pencil is paired using the wired connection between the iPad and Pencil.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 31, 2022 7:13 AM in response to buzzbeex

When trying to pair the first generation Apple Pencil with the iPad10, are you using the special Apple USB-C to Lightning adapter to connect the USB-C/USB-C cable supplied with the iPad? If not, this may the source of your difficulty.

• USB-C to Apple Pencil Adapter

https://store.apple.com/uk/xc/product/MQLU3ZM/A

While this special adapter is included in the box of new first generation Apple Pencils, some older stock Pencils may not have this adapter in the box.

The first generation Pencil is paired using the wired connection between the iPad and Pencil.

Oct 31, 2022 7:33 AM in response to buzzbeex

When pairing the Pencil with the cable-connection, you won’t see a pairing “button” - as pairing is fully automatic.

Connect Apple Pencil with your iPad - Apple Support

With your Pencil connected to the iPad, check to see if the Pencil has been detected:

Settings > General > About

Scroll down the page and look for an entry for the Apple Pencil. If present, the Pencil electronics are likely to be good.

Dec 27, 2022 5:33 PM in response to RanchgirlCA

Honestly I never got it resolved regardless of me buying 3 different apple pencils and none of them worked. I even switched out my brand new ipad for another new one and it didn’t work with that ipad either. I ended up just returning everything and buying the newer iPad Air (5th generation) with the 2nd gen Apple Pencil and I love it so much. I honestly recommend this because sometimes I thank myself for not sticking with the other ipad with the 1st gen Apple Pencil. It’s such a hassle having to charge it with a cable and connect it through a lighting cable like honestly just upgrade.

Apple Pencil Won’t Pair

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.