You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity monitor processes

I’m seeing a lot of processes running in activity monitor I’ve never seen before:

mdworker_shared

addressbooksourcesync

contactsd

identityservicesd

mapsd

sharingd

distnoted

heard

continuitycaptureagent

docxtra

amsengagement

amsaccountsd

UIkitsystem

knowledgecnstructiond

mediaanalysisd (currently using 83% of my cpu)

and whether by coincidence or not, my brand new 13 pro max and my imac are both acting really slow

and jerky

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 13.0

Posted on Oct 29, 2022 3:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2022 4:01 AM

I believe that the "continuitycaptureagent" is Continuity Camera. My iPhone connected as soon as I started the Ecamm Live app to go live. As soon as you have connected your iPhone with this new feature, it will take resources.

As we speak it's taking up 5,7GB of memory....

2 replies

Oct 29, 2022 9:17 AM in response to a_r_kitekt

a_r_kitekt wrote:

I’m seeing a lot of processes running in activity monitor I’ve never seen before:

mdworker_shared
addressbooksourcesync
contactsd
identityservicesd
mapsd
sharingd
distnoted
heard
continuitycaptureagent
docxtra
amsengagement
amsaccountsd
UIkitsystem
knowledgecnstructiond
mediaanalysisd (currently using 83% of my cpu)

and whether by coincidence or not, my brand new 13 pro max and my imac are both acting really slow
and jerky

Seems odd—

the correlation as I interpret it with limited information— is the user, not the machine or the macOS....

Uninstall all third party apps that are Cleaners/Optimizers/Anti-Virus/VPN

all known to cause issues on the macOS

SafeBoot How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support will sort many anomalies

Activity monitor processes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.