You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to install Mojave on an external hard drive and use it as the startup disk for a 2009 iMac with a bad internal drive. How do I install an OS on the external drive so I can use it as the startup drive?

I want to install Mojave on an external hard drive and use it as the startup disk for a 2009 iMac with a bad internal drive. How do I install an OS on the external drive so I can use it as the startup drive?

iMac

Posted on Sep 22, 2022 4:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2022 1:22 PM

Ah, Apple makes it crazy hard to post a query where you want it, yours was posted in Mojave forum.

Should not be a problem, put the Installer on , boot with Option key held down to choose the Installer...

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12

Fix for 10.12 createinstallmedia "not a v… - Apple Community

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 26, 2022 1:22 PM in response to MacWasOnceGreat

Ah, Apple makes it crazy hard to post a query where you want it, yours was posted in Mojave forum.

Should not be a problem, put the Installer on , boot with Option key held down to choose the Installer...

How to create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?ls=1&mt=12

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.