You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Use Macbook Pro as startup disk for iMac?

Is it possible to connect a new Macbook Pro to an iMac (2017) that is currently running on Mojave & to use the MBP's drive as a startup disk instead of the iMac's hard drive? If it is, what cables would I need?

Thanks!

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 4:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 31, 2022 3:07 PM

That's what I thought. FWIW, Target Disk Mode allows a Mac to act like an external drive so you can access files on it. It does not allow another Mac to boot from it to my knowledge.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

6 replies

Jul 31, 2022 6:00 AM in response to sleepydwarf

Which exact MBP?

There is Target Disk Mode, where you'd hold T key down startup of the MBP, then hold option key when booting the iMac to chose the startup disk.

Likely requires a Thunderbolt cable, but which exact cable(s) depends on the exact MBP, also assumes the MBP is running 10.12 or greater.

Transfer files between two Mac computers using target disk mode - Apple Support

How to Boot Your Mac in Target Disk Mode for Easy File Transfers (howtogeek.com)

Use Macbook Pro as startup disk for iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.