You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Do downloads from the itunes store in 2022 only work within the app, or can you download an mp3 to put onto other devices?

I know that obviously iTunes used to let you download mp3s, but I’d like to know if it currently does. I like listening to music on my phone through an mp3 player app, and I usually buy music from Bandcamp, but some artists don’t have one and I’m trying to figure out what a good place to buy songs besides that would be. (I have no interest in paying for a streaming service, since that doesn’t support the artist very much.) Apple’s page on the subject says that you can download songs for offline listening, but it isn’t clear whether or not that’s just within iTunes/Apple Music or if it’s an mp3 you can keep.

iPad Air 5 Wi-Fi

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 22, 2022 4:42 PM

iTunes offer’s AAC files that you can then convert to MP3 with iTunes and copy over to any device you want. Itunes music purchases are not DRM protected and will work anywhere and are yours to keep.

Link-> Convert a song to a different file format with the Apple Music app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 22, 2022 4:42 PM in response to tornasunder

iTunes offer’s AAC files that you can then convert to MP3 with iTunes and copy over to any device you want. Itunes music purchases are not DRM protected and will work anywhere and are yours to keep.

Link-> Convert a song to a different file format with the Apple Music app or iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Do downloads from the itunes store in 2022 only work within the app, or can you download an mp3 to put onto other devices?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.