You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using MacBook Pro (16-in, 2021) to charge iPhone

I've been forced to choose a topic, since topics were devoid of MacBooks, I chose iPhones, please understand that the topic is MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Battery

Due to an old house/lack of enough electrical outlets, I plug my iPhone-13 into my MacBook to charge, (of course my MacBook is plugged in when I do this). Does this harm my MacBook battery?

I'm asking because I am constantly seeing "Battery Charging on Hold". I always open up 'Battery Preferences' to see what's going on, then it will begin charging again, but for reasons unknown because I haven't changed anything. Today though, it didn't respond to that, Battery Charging is still on hold.

Pamela

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 8:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2022 9:17 AM

There should be no issue. I've charged my iPhones with Macs (while connected to external power) for years and it's not detrimental to the battery. Of course if it's not connected to external power, then it will use battery power to power the iPhone, and that reduces charge which does eventually degrade a battery. However, that's the inevitable result of discharging and charging a battery.

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2022 9:17 AM in response to Cruredes

There should be no issue. I've charged my iPhones with Macs (while connected to external power) for years and it's not detrimental to the battery. Of course if it's not connected to external power, then it will use battery power to power the iPhone, and that reduces charge which does eventually degrade a battery. However, that's the inevitable result of discharging and charging a battery.

Aug 7, 2022 11:42 AM in response to Cruredes

Cruredes wrote:
Great relief 😮‍💨! I was fairly it wasn’t an issue, power in-power through-power out, but I wanted to be certain.

Theoretically everything that uses an electronic device contributes to at least a little bit of wear, but there is no utility to an electronic device without being used. For the most part, when a Mac is connected to power and charging a device, that's being provided from the power management circuits and not through the battery. However, if it's heavily loaded, there is a chance that the battery is being tapped into. However, it's a battery operated device and battery power is an important part of the functionality.

My philosophy is "Does the device serve you, or do you serve the device?" There comes a point where parts such as batteries may well need to be replaced, and it's a nominal cost compared to the price of a new device. It is possible to overthink everything.

Aug 9, 2022 12:59 AM in response to Cruredes

You see that post up there that's me, but I am not "Cruredes", he is one of the people here who helped me. My Profile Name is "Pammama", I have no idea what happened here but I was on the page when all the names began changing around and also the avatars, then the comments themselves were assigned to different Profile Names and Avatars.

WHAT THE HECK IS GOING ON?!!

I'VE BEEN ASKING, BUT NO ONE ANSWERS YET.

I even asked my partner to look at it because I'm dealing with a possible brain tumor, I wasn't sure if I was seeing it correctly, but yeah, he sees the same problem.

I THOUGHT IT WOULD GO BACK TO NORMAL TODAY, BUT IT HASN'T.

Aug 9, 2022 1:01 AM in response to y_p_w

You see that post up there that's me, but I am not "Cruredes", he is one of the people here who helped me. My Profile Name is "Pammama", I have no idea what happened here but I was on the page when all the names began changing around and also the avatars, then the comments themselves were assigned to different Profile Names and Avatars.

I even asked my partner to look at it because I'm dealing with a possible brain tumor, I wasn't sure if I was seeing it correctly, but yeah, he sees the same problem.

I THOUGHT IT WOULD GO BACK TO NORMAL TODAY, BUT IT HASN'T.

Aug 9, 2022 1:04 AM in response to lobsterghost1

I THOUGHT IT WOULD GO BACK TO NORMAL TODAY, BUT IT HASN'T. Help?

Using MacBook Pro (16-in, 2021) to charge iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.