You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Texts from unknown senders are plentiful

I have "filter texts from unknown senders" turned on, but I'm still regularly receiving texts from numbers I've never seen before -- and they have no option to "Report as Spam."

If a text comes in from a number that's not in my contacts, which I've never interacted with before, I should ALWAYS have the option to report it as spam - it usually is.

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Aug 6, 2022 7:41 PM

10 replies

Aug 6, 2022 7:47 PM in response to ninja-bob

ninja-bob Said:

"Texts from unknown senders are plentiful: I have 'filter texts from unknown senders' turned on, but I'm still regularly receiving texts from numbers I've never seen before -- and they have no option to 'Report as Spam.' If a text comes in from a number that's not in my contacts, which I've never interacted with before, I should ALWAYS have the option to report it as spam - it usually is."

-------

Reporting Scams:

A. Malwarebytes for iPhone:

One item usable is Malwarebytes for iPhone. Keep all the junk out. Get it Here: iOS Security - iPhone Call, Text, and Ad Blocker | Malwarebytes - it Blocks Scam Calls and Filters Site usage. It is developed by longtime users of these forums, making it the only reliable and official Security Software for an iPhone. It is something to consider when it comes to blocking out junk.

B. MalwareBytes Premium for iPhone:

This application can be found in the AppStore. It allows its users to do their part in all of this. They can report scam calls, by submitting the phone number, to its developer and adding a few lines for notes on the report upon submittal. In high-relevance to this case, it blocks popups from those phone numbers their customers have reported. Texts can be set to be received only by those in your contact list.

Get it here: MalwareBytes for iOS - App Store - Apple

Aug 6, 2022 7:48 PM in response to ninja-bob

ninja-bob Said:

"Texts from unknown senders are plentiful: I have 'filter texts from unknown senders' turned on, but I'm still regularly receiving texts from numbers I've never seen before -- and they have no option to 'Report as Spam.' If a text comes in from a number that's not in my contacts, which I've never interacted with before, I should ALWAYS have the option to report it as spam - it usually is."

-------

Reporting Scams to Apple and Others:

Use my User: Using the Photos App to Report Scams - User Tip

Aug 6, 2022 8:34 PM in response to ninja-bob

Text message and voicemail are carrier features. iMessages are an iPhone feature. Yes, Apple can only provide such services for iMessages. Text message filtering, etc. would need to be handled by the carrier. It's not so much an oversight as a legacy of our telecommunication system, setup, and regulations.

Texts from unknown senders are plentiful

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.