You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay code

My 4K Apple TV is connected to my home theatre system. The receiver is set up so that Apple TV is one of the inputs. With this setup I easily stream movies from any of the Apple TV apps (Netflix, Amazon, Apple etc).

But when I try to send music from my iPad to the system, I'm asked for an "airplay code." I don't know what this is, I don't recall ever creating such a code.

I found the following here:

"See if the TV configuration allows for AirPlay settings, including allowing access with password.

Or add the TV to the Home in the Home app on an iPhone or iPad. Then configure it for a password, or configure it to not need a password.

If your AirPlay sending device is managed (MDM) (e.g. from an employer) then it may be set to only stream to other managed devices with a password."

So I opened "Home" on the iPad and selected the name of my home theatre under "rooms." I was asked for an airplay code. I then went looking for how to "configure it for a password..." mentioned above. I can't find anything like that in the Home app.

I'm pretty frustrated and ready to throw my iPad at my TV screen. :-(

Can anyone suggest what I'm doing wrong? Thanks for your help.

iPad Pro 9.7-inch WiFi

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 6:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 27, 2022 8:32 AM

• The first time that you use AirPlay to stream from an unpaired device to Apple TV box, then it would ask a four digit AirPlay pairing code, or a password (if set to require a password (optional)). The pairing code would be displayed on the TV. A password would be in Settings on Apple TV. Paired devices wouldn’t need the code or password again (unless the password is changed). See your AirPlay settings on the Apple TV box.
  • If you stream audio from iPad to an AirPlay-enabled receiver directly, then the AirPlay settings on that receiver would apply. See your receiver manual, if applicable. No TV screen would be involved in this streaming.
  • If you stream from an iPad to an AirPlay-enabled smart TV, then the AirPlay settings on that TV would apply. See your TV manual, if applicable.

In general, the access settings are on the receiving device. For users with an Apple TV box, I would recommend using that (#1) for AirPlay reception, for maximum features.

The Home app isn’t needed nor that useful for streaming music from iPad to Apple TV. (But limited playback controls are available in the Home app too, once something is playing on or to Apple TV.)

If the issue persists,

1. Try video AirPlay first, to establish a visual and functional connection.
  2. Try pairing the iPad to the Apple TV box.
1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 27, 2022 8:32 AM in response to Kenneth Cohen1

• The first time that you use AirPlay to stream from an unpaired device to Apple TV box, then it would ask a four digit AirPlay pairing code, or a password (if set to require a password (optional)). The pairing code would be displayed on the TV. A password would be in Settings on Apple TV. Paired devices wouldn’t need the code or password again (unless the password is changed). See your AirPlay settings on the Apple TV box.
  • If you stream audio from iPad to an AirPlay-enabled receiver directly, then the AirPlay settings on that receiver would apply. See your receiver manual, if applicable. No TV screen would be involved in this streaming.
  • If you stream from an iPad to an AirPlay-enabled smart TV, then the AirPlay settings on that TV would apply. See your TV manual, if applicable.

In general, the access settings are on the receiving device. For users with an Apple TV box, I would recommend using that (#1) for AirPlay reception, for maximum features.

The Home app isn’t needed nor that useful for streaming music from iPad to Apple TV. (But limited playback controls are available in the Home app too, once something is playing on or to Apple TV.)

If the issue persists,

1. Try video AirPlay first, to establish a visual and functional connection.
  2. Try pairing the iPad to the Apple TV box.

Airplay code

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.