You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to Remove old Apple ID from my Apple watch

Recently I purchased a new Apple phone with a new mobile service provider (Service Provider#2) and created a NEW Apple ID. My service with my old mobile phone service (Service Provider#1) included service for my Apple watch with my OLD Apple ID. When I moved my service to the new mobile service provider (Service Provider#2) I did not include the Apple watch. I have used the Apple watch only for walks to see my distance and heartrate.

I want to now use the Apple watch with my NEW Apple ID and connect to my new Iphone. However, even after a factory reset and pairing with my New Iphone the apple watch requests my OLD Apple ID.

I have signed into my OLD Apple ID on my laptop to see how I can disconnect the OLD Apple ID from the Apple watch but am not seeing a clear way to do so.

Please advise.

The last answer to this question is not the answer I need.

Posted on Jul 20, 2022 9:50 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2022 12:23 AM

The watch is protected by Activation Lock to your old Apple ID. This prevents lost and stolen Watches from being used by others.

To remove the Activation Lock from the watch;

Go to icloud.com and login with your old Apple ID.

Open Find iPhone.

In the All Devices pulldown menu select your Watch.

In the resulting sheet that appears to the right choose erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.

Then Remove the watch from your Apple ID.

This should reset the watch to the factory settings for you to setup as new and pair it to your iPhone.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.4; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.6; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.5; HomePods, audioOS 15.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 21, 2022 12:23 AM in response to lauralluc

The watch is protected by Activation Lock to your old Apple ID. This prevents lost and stolen Watches from being used by others.

To remove the Activation Lock from the watch;

Go to icloud.com and login with your old Apple ID.

Open Find iPhone.

In the All Devices pulldown menu select your Watch.

In the resulting sheet that appears to the right choose erase Apple Watch. Select Next until the device is erased.

Then Remove the watch from your Apple ID.

This should reset the watch to the factory settings for you to setup as new and pair it to your iPhone.

M1 Mac mini, macOS 12.4; Watch, series 5 GPS/cellular, watchOS 8.6; iPad Pro 2nd Gen, iPadOS 15.5; iPhone 12 Pro, iOS 15.5; TV 4th Gen, tvOS 15.5; HomePods, audioOS 15.5 and Airport Express w/ Airplay 2

How to Remove old Apple ID from my Apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.