You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to install Rosetta on new MacBook Pro

I have a new MacBook Pro 2021 (Monterey). Migrated my data over via time machine. Cannot install Rosetta. When the install pops up I get "Unable to check for updates. Please check your internet and try again." It's not the connection (have tried from multiple locations.) I have tried starting in Safe Mode and installing via terminal and get "Rosetta not available." It is not already installed (apps won't run that need it). I have reset PRAM, deleted VPN and cleaner apps and other suggestions I have seen. Any other possibly solutions short of a complete recovery re-install?

Thanks!

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 6:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2022 7:48 AM

katieteague wrote:

I have a new MacBook Pro 2021 (Monterey). Migrated my data over via time machine. Cannot install Rosetta. When the install pops up I get "Unable to check for updates. Please check your internet and try again." It's not the connection (have tried from multiple locations.) I have tried starting in Safe Mode and installing via terminal and get "Rosetta not available." It is not already installed (apps won't run that need it). I have reset PRAM, deleted VPN and cleaner apps and other suggestions I have seen. Any other possibly solutions short of a complete recovery re-install?

Thanks!

Typically if an Application needs translation it will automatically query for Rosetta...(?)

What app is this asking for Rosetta? Universal apps do not need Rosetta.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2022 7:48 AM in response to katieteague

katieteague wrote:

Thanks!

Typically if an Application needs translation it will automatically query for Rosetta...(?)

What app is this asking for Rosetta? Universal apps do not need Rosetta.

If you need to install Rosetta on your Mac

Aug 22, 2022 11:03 AM in response to katieteague

I had this same issue. The first time I saw the Rosetta prompt, I had to cancel out due to a bad connection. All future attempts to open apps that needed Rosetta resulted in the "Unable to check for updates" message.

The fix, which I found in another thread here, was to run "Disk First Aid" - go to the Utilities folder, run Disk Utility, and then Disk First Aid within that. I restarted afterwards, and tried again - Rosetta successfully installed.

Unable to install Rosetta on new MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.