You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Restore Time machine backup creates two new Volumes

After upgraded to Big Sur, I've decided to restore Catalina. I used a time machine backup. I got some problem at the beginning, but now it's ok, the only problem which remain is that there are two new Volumes named "Machintosh SSD - Dati" and "Update".

"Machintosh SSD" is the main drive.

What are they and how to remove them?

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 4:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2022 7:27 AM

In Disk Utilities and refer to below image.

That " Update " Volume can be removed by using the Minis ( - ) sign. That volume is showing as a mount point of /Volumes/ Update and a left over from Big Sur installation.

The " Macintosh SSD" and " Macintosh SSD Dati " must be kept.

Why, starring in Catalina, Apple has make two Volumes on the drive. The First is where the Operations System is and is Read Only, the Macintosh SSD - Dati is where your Personal Files and Applications are kept.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 7, 2022 7:27 AM in response to nucleo

In Disk Utilities and refer to below image.

That " Update " Volume can be removed by using the Minis ( - ) sign. That volume is showing as a mount point of /Volumes/ Update and a left over from Big Sur installation.

The " Macintosh SSD" and " Macintosh SSD Dati " must be kept.

Why, starring in Catalina, Apple has make two Volumes on the drive. The First is where the Operations System is and is Read Only, the Macintosh SSD - Dati is where your Personal Files and Applications are kept.

Restore Time machine backup creates two new Volumes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.