You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Other Volumes after MacOS Downgrade

Hi All,

I wanted to ask for some help. Just now, I downgraded from MacOS Big Sur to Catalina due to some issue I had on my iMac. Ever since the downgrade, however, I have "other" volumes on my drive. I'm assuming that some of this is from Big Sur, which I meant to completely erase, but I do not know. How would I get rid of all of this, and any other unneeded volumes? I am linking two photos - one from About my Mac, and one from Disk Utility.

(P.S: I installed Catalina on the disk "Update")

Thank you so much!

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 9:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2021 7:43 PM

Why?

Update is the OS and Update - Data is your data.

I'm not sure what the grayed out disk is.

You can remove the Macintosh HD - Data volume. It is probably what was left over from Big Sur. If you are sure you have all of your data, just select it in Disk Utility and click the Remove Volume button (–).

You may need to erase and start over, though as I don't know why disk2s1 is grayed out.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 2, 2021 7:43 PM in response to Maxim_124

Why?

Update is the OS and Update - Data is your data.

I'm not sure what the grayed out disk is.

You can remove the Macintosh HD - Data volume. It is probably what was left over from Big Sur. If you are sure you have all of your data, just select it in Disk Utility and click the Remove Volume button (–).

You may need to erase and start over, though as I don't know why disk2s1 is grayed out.

Other Volumes after MacOS Downgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.