You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Video doesn’t work on airplay. Tried mirror and tv screen goes black. Audio works fine.

Video doesn’t work on airplay. Tried mirror and tv screen goes black. Audio works fine on both.

Apple TV (2nd gen)

Posted on May 25, 2022 10:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 25, 2022 10:25 AM

Some services are not compatible with the old 2010 model Apple TV (2nd generation), even through AirPlay.

This includes Apple TV+, Disney+, HBO Max and others. Netflix doesn’t support AirPlay (to any model) at all anymore.

You may want to consider upgrading your device.

4 replies

Jun 16, 2022 1:31 PM in response to Adrissues

This is happening to me as well. Whether screen mirroring from my M1 MacBook Air to my TV via HDMI, or to my 4k Apple TV (2021), each time I enable screen mirroring all is good. UNTIL I start playing a movie (QuickTime, AppleTV App, Netflix & Hulu via chrome browser) then just the video player screen goes black and the audio works fine. Even the MPAA rating info that displays in the upper left hand corner of the screen in AppleTV+ streams can be seen, just NOT the actual movie/show. If I disable screen mirroring while the movie/show is playing, the video turns back on. If I reenable screen mirroring, the video goes black once again. I'm thinking this is a copyright protection feature but hopefully someone else can chime in with a high degree of certainty.

Video doesn’t work on airplay. Tried mirror and tv screen goes black. Audio works fine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.