You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocked attachments, pdf, jpeg, etc - Apple Email

Recently update MacOS to 11.6.6. and now I cannot open attachments, says 'The file “<name of file>[1].pdf” couldn’t be opened because you don’t have permission to view it. ... '

1080p,

Posted on May 20, 2022 12:16 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2022 12:48 PM

There are 3 or 4 threads open on this all since 11.6.6, regarding both Mail and Outlook ... please file a bug report with Apple (use Feedback Assistant) ... this is a major inconvenience and it needs fixing, but that won't happen unless everyone with this issue takes 2 minutes and files a bug report so the matter percolates to the top :~)

Not sure about Mail but in Outlook the only workaround seems to be quitting Preview, Word, Excel or whatever app opens an attachment, then it will open, but the next one won't unless you first quit the app ...

Similar questions

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2022 12:48 PM in response to primo527

There are 3 or 4 threads open on this all since 11.6.6, regarding both Mail and Outlook ... please file a bug report with Apple (use Feedback Assistant) ... this is a major inconvenience and it needs fixing, but that won't happen unless everyone with this issue takes 2 minutes and files a bug report so the matter percolates to the top :~)

Not sure about Mail but in Outlook the only workaround seems to be quitting Preview, Word, Excel or whatever app opens an attachment, then it will open, but the next one won't unless you first quit the app ...

Jun 6, 2022 2:10 PM in response to ParkwayLimes

Just spent time time with apple support on same issue

Updated to 11.6.6 yesterday and now Adobe attachments don't open-fixed that in the privacy settings by allowing Adobe permission to access all files, but word still requires me to grant access to open each new word attachment

I agree its inconvenient- the apple support person didn't think it was an issue-does anyone know if upgrading to Monterey fixes this-although I've been reluctant to upgrade in case other older software doesn't work

Also, my calendar won't load entries when I click on an ics file -I didn't realize that til after I talked to the rep

It worked until the upgrade

Jun 6, 2022 3:12 PM in response to pcbjr

Yes, I have this problem too using apple mail. I spoke with advanced support (or what ever they call themselves) and the only thing he told me to do was upgrade to Monterey. If I wanted Monterey I would have already done that. He said they can only give me 15 minutes of tech support since I am not on the current version (Monterey) and it couldn't be escalated anymore! I have a 2020 MacBook with Apple Care+! I hope they get this fixed soon - this is ridiculous with the work around (having to close preview or adobe before you open another attachment)! I called back and got someone else who apologized immensely for the horrible customer service and said they should be getting a patch out for it. I have never had anyone like this is the past 12+ years be rude like that.

Blocked attachments, pdf, jpeg, etc - Apple Email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.