You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double click on images in mail won't open them

I usually can open an image file received in Mail just by double clicking on it.

But now when I double click on a jpg file received in a mail message I get a message saying I don't have authorization to show it.

I have to save the file to my computer before I can open it.

Also, if I change the default app used to open jpg files on my computer, the I get an error message from that app instead. For example, if I set Pixelmator Pro as the default app to open jpg files, I get an error message from Pixelmator Pro, and if I set Preview as the default app, I get an error message from preview.

Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it?

This problem started after updating my macbook pro 2019 to Mac OS 11.6.6

Thanks.

Posted on Jun 2, 2022 1:09 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 3, 2022 8:59 AM in response to Nexus600

I have exactly the same issue. I have tried multiple solutions including rebooting different modes. I have found that if you delete the ~Library/Containers/Preview/Data/Library/SavedApplicationState/com.apple.preview.SavedState folder, restart mail, restart Preview the issue goes away and you can open the first attachment without Permissions error. However, try another email attachment and boom it reverts back to the permissions error again (now that a new config file is written for Preview).

Apple Support told me it is because my laptop has a SSD issue at manufacture and this is the cause HAHAHAHAHA

So coincidental that I can open anything else in Mail that is not PDF - and if I go to a website and open / download a PDF to the downloads directory Preview displays this very same pop up permissons issue.

If I look in the ~Library/Mail/ directories and search on PDF I see ALL the attachments that are embedded in my Mails, have no problem opening them directly and can ascertain that their permissions are all correct for me to be able to open them.

So there is some issue with the way MAIL and PREVIEW are interacting when it comes to open an attachment. BTW, you can use Quick Look Attachment with right click submenu and it will open the attachment no problem - it's just an extra laborious step but is a workaround for now.

But, I am 100% it is related to whatever was pushed in the 11.6.6 update as you stated.

Jun 3, 2022 10:01 AM in response to TimOSI

I agree with you, this is related to something about the way Mail and preview interact when opening a file.

And yes, it is definitely related to the 11.6.6 update.

My issue is limited to jpg files, since I use Acrobat Pro DC for PDF files.

In my case, I found out that if the preview app is not already launched when I double click on an image attached in Mail, Preview will launch and will open the image without problem.

If I then try to double click on an other attached image in Mail, I then get the error message.

So if Preview is already launched, I get the error message.

If Preview is not launched, it works OK for the first file.

Did you notice that too?

By the way, I have a similar issue with calendar. If I receive a meeting invitation (ics file) in Mail, and double click on it to add it to Calendar, I get an error saying Calendar can't open that type of file.

If I drag the ICS file from Mail to Calendar, it will add it to my calendar without problem.

That issue also started after updating to 11.6.6

Jun 3, 2022 1:00 PM in response to Nexus600

I had not tested for that case, but have followed your direction and indeed that is the same case. It works fine for the first Open of Preview and then errors always after. So my deletion of the Preview config files allowing me to open the file for the first time was a false positive of resolution because what I was actually doing was closing both Mail and Preview each time, so this "hidden" behavior isn't something that I noticed and presumed the deletion was having an effect (per earlier solutions I found on the web).

The one thing I am convinced about is that this has nothing to do with hard disks and failures because Apple support told me the range of laptops this was a problem for was in the 2017 year era, yet you say your laptop is a 2019!

I might just bite the bullet and upgrade to Monterey and hope this nonsense just goes away.

Jun 11, 2022 9:39 AM in response to Nexus600

I demonstrated the issue at the Genius Bar and the Tech said it was a definite Apple bug. No need for changing disk per the Apple Support online person. I upgraded to Monterey afterwards and the issue is resolved, so def. something that slipped in under 11.6.6; So far no issues with Monterey and pleased this issue has now gone away.

Double click on images in mail won't open them

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.