You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini (Late 2014) Thunderbolt ports

I would like to connect a high capacity drive with a USB-C cable to the Thunderbolt 2 port directly or through an adaptor/adaptor cable. Any recommendations?

Mac mini, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 7, 2022 8:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 7, 2022 1:35 PM

I am not trying to replace my internal drive, this is to replace an external drive. The drive I bought is a 4 TB Crucial X6 portable SSD. It will replace my 1 TB Toshiba which works fine but it is running out of room as a Time Machine backup disk. The new drive is described as follows: "Crucial X6 4TB Portable SSD – Up to 800MB/s – USB 3.2 – External Solid State Drive, USB-C - CT4000X6SSD9". It comes with a short cable with USB-C terminals at both ends.

Note that the new drive is not powered externally, I assume the USB-C connection provides the power.

Thank you for your help!

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 7, 2022 1:35 PM in response to den.thed

I am not trying to replace my internal drive, this is to replace an external drive. The drive I bought is a 4 TB Crucial X6 portable SSD. It will replace my 1 TB Toshiba which works fine but it is running out of room as a Time Machine backup disk. The new drive is described as follows: "Crucial X6 4TB Portable SSD – Up to 800MB/s – USB 3.2 – External Solid State Drive, USB-C - CT4000X6SSD9". It comes with a short cable with USB-C terminals at both ends.

Note that the new drive is not powered externally, I assume the USB-C connection provides the power.

Thank you for your help!

May 7, 2022 2:03 PM in response to read_baron

You can not connect that drive to your 2014 Mac Mini’s Thunderbolt port.

If it also came with a USB-C to USB-A cable the you will need to use that cable.

If not, them you will need to try a female USB-C to Male USB-A adapter.

for example > https://www.amazon.com/Crucial-USB-C-USB-Adapter-CTUSBCFUSBAMAD/dp/B08FSDMVNP/ref=pd_aw_fbt_img_sccl_1/144-3340786-9915212?

or > https://www.amazon.com/Satechi-Type-Type-C-Adapter-Converter/dp/B07KCL8WZK/ref=asc_df_B07KCL8WZK/?

Mac mini (Late 2014) Thunderbolt ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.