You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen Time is broken. Says Downtime is off, but the effects are there.

Late 2014 Mc mini

Got home from school, downtime is still on. Normally turns off at 7 (few minutes later because I have an older mac). I've rebooted twice now. This has happened before but it would've went away by now. Logged out about 5 times. Problem still persists. My dad says he hasn't done anything to it. What else should I (and my dad) try?

Posted on Apr 22, 2022 1:54 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2022 12:36 PM

Hello Ashbit_,

It appears that Downtime is turned off, but you're unable to access your apps. We have a few steps that may help resolve this issue and also allow us to verify if it is stems from your user account. Often times completing a NVRAM or PRAM can assist when there's an issue with your settings. Here's how to perform this step: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Next, you can access safe mode. Completing this step may resolve the issue and allow us to determine if the issue may be related to certain software. Please be aware that your Mac will load slow and your screen may flash. This is normal behavior for this mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, to isolate the issue further by verify if it it occurs in another user account as well. This allows us to determine if the behavior is specific to your account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We look forward to your reply.

Best wishes!

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 23, 2022 12:36 PM in response to ashbit_

Hello Ashbit_,

It appears that Downtime is turned off, but you're unable to access your apps. We have a few steps that may help resolve this issue and also allow us to verify if it is stems from your user account. Often times completing a NVRAM or PRAM can assist when there's an issue with your settings. Here's how to perform this step: Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac

Next, you can access safe mode. Completing this step may resolve the issue and allow us to determine if the issue may be related to certain software. Please be aware that your Mac will load slow and your screen may flash. This is normal behavior for this mode: How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the issue persists, to isolate the issue further by verify if it it occurs in another user account as well. This allows us to determine if the behavior is specific to your account: Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

We look forward to your reply.

Best wishes!

Apr 29, 2022 12:10 PM in response to Grace2211

after you replied it was the next day, which fixed it. since then I've been waiting for a day for the problem to show up again, and it has today. i tried out what you said, but it didn't seem to work. and again my dad is not home so I have to wait for him to reply to my text asking for him to turn downtime on and off. thanks for the help.

Apr 29, 2022 12:26 PM in response to ashbit_

i just tried your method a few more times and accidentally entered recovery mode. the thing is... i use a wireless keyboard (not bluetooth--theres a receiver) and it needs to be woken up. i looked up what I might have don't wrong, and I let go of the P at the wrong time in order to wake up my keyboard. probably should use my wired keyboard for this from now on.

Screen Time is broken. Says Downtime is off, but the effects are there.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.