You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Switching to the m1 MacBook Pro from older Intel-based MacBook Pro

I have a old late-2010 MacBook Pro on macOS High Sierra. I have lots of old programs on that device.

If I get the newer MacBook Pro that has macOS Monterey, will all of my programs transfer?

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2022 8:56 AM

Mdelapaz10 wrote:

I have a old late-2010 MacBook Pro on macOS High Sierra. I have lots of old programs on that device.
If I get the newer MacBook Pro that has macOS Monterey, will all of my programs transfer?
https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/79fdb3e1-a1ed-4a6c-a01e-c031d53d62a9

2010 was limited to your High Sierra—

Stepping up 4 macOS to Monterey and the new M1 introduces some changes, however nothing earth shattering:

• High Sierra was optional the new APFS, now it is mandatory this transition from the old HFS+ file system
  • developers typically have released 64 bit versions of their old app—so updating software is typically not an issue since Mojave
  • a new two-volume (read only System Volume) introduced in Catalina is a bit different, but typically not an issue
  • Big Sur introduced a SSV (Signed System Volume) for security, but practically does not effect your day to day
  • Monterey macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware.

Always advised to have a robust back up plan if you value your user data.

You can get help here—

Support for your product, help with order placed, help making a purchase

https://contactretail.apple.com/Help

For old backup devices, USBthumb drives, etc you will need at the least a USBC to USB adapter:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

ref: 32 bit only

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and ...

ref: APFS

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

ref: Signed system volume security in macOS

Signed system volume security in macOS - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 21, 2022 8:56 AM in response to Mdelapaz10

Mdelapaz10 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/79fdb3e1-a1ed-4a6c-a01e-c031d53d62a9

2010 was limited to your High Sierra—

Stepping up 4 macOS to Monterey and the new M1 introduces some changes, however nothing earth shattering:

• High Sierra was optional the new APFS, now it is mandatory this transition from the old HFS+ file system
  • developers typically have released 64 bit versions of their old app—so updating software is typically not an issue since Mojave
  • a new two-volume (read only System Volume) introduced in Catalina is a bit different, but typically not an issue
  • Big Sur introduced a SSV (Signed System Volume) for security, but practically does not effect your day to day
  • Monterey macOS Monterey - New Features - Apple

It never pays to get too far behind in the software or hardware.

Always advised to have a robust back up plan if you value your user data.

You can get help here—

Support for your product, help with order placed, help making a purchase

https://contactretail.apple.com/Help

For old backup devices, USBthumb drives, etc you will need at the least a USBC to USB adapter:

USB-C to USB Adapter - Apple

ref: 32 bit only

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and ...

ref: APFS

Add, delete, or erase APFS volumes in Disk Utility on Mac

ref: About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple ...

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

ref: Signed system volume security in macOS

Signed system volume security in macOS - Apple Support

Switching to the m1 MacBook Pro from older Intel-based MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.