You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to configure Displays in Macbook Pro M1 to use iMac 2011 as Monitor

I connected my new MacBook Pro M1 2021 to my old iMac 27” 2011 via Tunderbold 2/USB-C adapter and Thunderbold cable.

Both Macs are Power-On, then when I click from the iMac on Command-F2 the display is not sent from my MacBook Pro to the iMac.

I tried the same process by replacing my Mackbook Pro M1 2021 with my MacBook Pro 2018 and it worked.

I think it’s due to the display settings with my MB2021 but I don’t know what are the right settings so it’ll be recognized by the iMac.

Any help is appreciated.

I attached my iMac Configuration

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 6:52 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 24, 2022 6:56 PM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Unfortunately, if any Mac is using a version of macOS newer than macOS Catalina and is newer than 2019, then you cannot use Target Display Mode: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support.

However, you can use AirPlay to Mac between your two Mac notebooks: Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver - Apple Support.

Jack

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 24, 2022 6:56 PM in response to scipe

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Unfortunately, if any Mac is using a version of macOS newer than macOS Catalina and is newer than 2019, then you cannot use Target Display Mode: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support.

However, you can use AirPlay to Mac between your two Mac notebooks: Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay receiver - Apple Support.

Jack

How to configure Displays in Macbook Pro M1 to use iMac 2011 as Monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.