You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Second hand iMac compatibility with 2021 MacBook Pro

Hi All :)

This is my first question on the Communities forum.

I use my 2021 Macbook Pro for work and I'm wanting to set up my home office to look a bit slicker so looking at purchasing a second-hand iMac to use as a monitor.

Can you please advise

a) which iMac models are compatible

b) if there is a wireless way to mirror the screens yet have the iMac webcam working

c) if it is possible to use the same Apple ID on both devices therefore occasionally leave my laptop in the office?

Thanks in advance!

Charlotte

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 3:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 23, 2022 3:54 AM

Your 2021 MacBook is too new for target display mode which was discontinued years ago. See below for more information.

Your cheapest option is to buy either a secondhand or new monitor and connect this with a suitable adapter. I have an older 23" iiyama HD monitor attached to my 2021 M1 iMac with a USB-C to DVI adapter and it works fine.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 23, 2022 3:54 AM in response to Charcc

Your 2021 MacBook is too new for target display mode which was discontinued years ago. See below for more information.

Your cheapest option is to buy either a secondhand or new monitor and connect this with a suitable adapter. I have an older 23" iiyama HD monitor attached to my 2021 M1 iMac with a USB-C to DVI adapter and it works fine.

Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Second hand iMac compatibility with 2021 MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.