You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos on IPad Pro

I want to have the photo in the Album but delete from the library so I don’t have a duplicate. How?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 7:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 21, 2022 1:31 PM

Hi

They are not duplicates. Photos only ever keeps one copy of a photo and they are always in the library. When you add a photo to an album it doesn't take a copy, the album just references the one photo from the library.

So you are not able to delete them from the library or they are gone from everywhere.

3 replies

Feb 23, 2022 1:21 PM in response to TonyCollinet

Thank you. I wanted to categorize my library so I didn’t have so many pictures haphazardly in it. But from what you are saying, the only way to do that is to put everything into Albums. But if only half are in Albums then I still have to go through all my pictures in the Library to find one misc. pic that didn’t go into an Album.

Feb 23, 2022 1:40 PM in response to Pictur

Hmm - yes, on an iPad this is a problem.

On a Mac, you can use a smart album to find photos that are not in an album, but I that functionality doesn't exist in IOS. You best bet might be to add everything to an album called (eg) "unsorted", then as you add them from there to other albums, remove them from the unsorted album.

If you have a mac, and can sync your library using iCloud then you will be better off using the mac for the sort of organisation you are looking for.

Photos on IPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.